Do NOT do this!

You're supposed to prick potatoes with a fork before microwaving.

Reply to
harry

In message , harry writes

Agreed, although I tend to stab them with my steely knife, but the effect is the same.

We sometimes nuke the spuds first, to cook through, then finish in the oven to brown and crisp the skin. A soggy jacket potato is not an attractive meal.

Reply to
News

En el artículo , News escribió:

Prick well with a fork, rub butter or olive oil into the skin, then sprinkle salt over so it sticks to the butter/oil, and bung in the micro. You get nice crispy skin that way.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

We have jacket potato on the menu tonight, apparently. I'll try that. Thanks, Mike.

Reply to
News

Not tried that. My way is to cook in the microwave (after pricking all over) for about 5 minutes on full power, then apply the oil and salt and put in a very hot oven until crispy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was searching the freezer one day, and came across a single serving pack of microwave chips. It was left over from refitting the kitchen some years before, when I'd bought them because I had several weeks of living off the microwave and kettle in the dining room whilst there was no kitchen. "Best before" was some years back, but what can go wrong with microwave chips? Pop them in the microwave, and about 5 seconds later, they explode! What happened is that they had completely freeze dried, leaving just potato flour and oil, which as I know know is a fairly explosive mixture. Left the glass turntable with a sizable chip in it (not the potato kind;-).

"Best before" was not perhaps an adequate warning.

The smell lasted for days, and inside/around the microwave, for weeks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Eating them?

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

I'll try that, thanks. The method I suggested does crisp the skin but it's not as nice as oven-baked (you don't get the browning, for instance), but is quick and easy.

I have to say crispy potato skins are lovely, All it needs to go with it is some rinded bacon, but that's another thread:)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

I've tried various ways of using the microwave as well as the oven, but none really work as well for me.

But oiling them doesn't give the same sort of crips IMO. Nothing can beat a good long time in the oven for giving you a nice thick crispy skin. I've tried oiling them as well, but I don't like that as much.

sure zapping can speed things along (and I guess use less energy). But some things are just worth the wait :-)

Reply to
Chris French