do-it-yourself gas fire fitting kit in B&Q

Was in a B&Q warehouse yesterday, and hanging on the end of one of the racks in the paint aisle were some (I quote) "do it yourself gas fire fitting kits", containing various brass couplers and a bit of copper tube.
Each packet had a large notice on it, "gas appliances should only be installed by a corgi registered engineer".
Rather bizarre I thought, when the plumbing aisle is full of dire warnings about DIY gas work being illegal.
--
Tim Mitchell

I presume selling them is not illegal, though the diy bit on the package could be seen as misleading I suppose.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

doing-it-for-yourself. What got me was the way in one part of the shop they tell you not to DIY, then on the way out try and sell you something for that exact purpose.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:51:32 +0000, Tim Mitchell

DIY gas work is not illegal provided that the person is competent and is not selling services to others.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And perhaps it so they can sell you a nut for 2 rather than a CORGI fitter charging you 3 for it...
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:01:52 +0000, Conrad Edwards

Let me see if I read this right.....
You can buy a DIY "nut" for 2. Or a CORGI fitter "nut" for 3.
I don't think I want to be calling CORGO fitters nuts myself. Some of 'em are bigger than me.... ;)
PoP