Do I need council approval for replacement central heating

Looking through this group. It seems there is always someone asking about combi boilers and more......

I am reading through the arhieves on google. However not found the exact answer yet.

Someone said that I need to get building regs invovled if I'm replacing my current hot water tank and boiler

If this really needed ?

Is this something that will come to haunt me if I move if I don't get it done, the plumber did'nt mention anything

Reply to
Andrew

I think this is only for pressurised hot-tank systems.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Afraid so. New installations must meet part L requirements for heat conservation.

Also gas and oil boilers are controlled items anyway and so have always been under BCO control.

Reply to
G&M

Exactly what should the installer provide by way of self-certification? I have the completed sticker on the hot water cylinder and benchmark document for the Worcester Bosch condensing boiler. I have asked for evidence of Building Regs compliance (which I do not doubt) but further paperwork is not forthcoming.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I am in a similar position myself at the moment, scoping out a new combi system for self install. From what I have read about the building regs, my understanding is that they basically mean:

o TRVs for all but one rad / room o Roomstat in the final location to switch boiler on and off and minimise short cycling o Boiler has to meet minimum efficiency value

Is there anything else "significant" in there?

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Begbie

You mention a plumber. If he installs the system and is CORGI registered (as required by law), he/she may self certify the system as compliant without involving the local authority.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hot tank insulation must be to regs including insulating pipework around tank. Short cycling must be prevented by the controls.

Reply to
Mike

I've just had our boiler replaced by a CORGI engineer. He left a completed Log Book - on the front of this it states: "This log Book is to be completed in full by the competent person who commistioned the boiler and associated equipment and then handed to the customer. When this is done, the Log Book is a commisioning certificate that can be accepted as evidence of compliance with the appropriate Building Regulations." One of the items to be completed is concerning building regulations.

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

Just a thought on all this certification paperwork. ..... But what if you do come to sell your house in, say, 5 yrs time. The boiler/CH has worked fine for the last 5 yrs so has everything else you've installed or overseen installation of, and you do not have some 'magical' paperwork. The couple come to look around your house, they're of course very impressed with all the improvements you've carried out. Then they ask for the paperwork for .... the boiler install. What are you going to say? "Lost it" springs to mind. The same couple would most likely be checking ....

o Gas hob installation cert via a corgi guy o Windows were installed by a Fensa company cert

-> Or if you installed it, a council building permission cert o Electrical safety check cert. (If that gets the go ahead)

... at the sametime.

IMHO all this certification is going mad, (Gas install via a corgi guy excluded) If the "buying couple" do have issues with an item they can get their own checks / survey / cert (Signed by M.Mouse) whatever, else they can go else where.

Not that I've ever told someone to s0d off when they bought up this subject :-P .... and guess what they bought the house, without any checks. I just felt they were pushing their luck !

To end my ramblings, I'd say don't loose too much sleep over a boiler refit or install certificate.

All of the above is IMHO, so if people do disagree don't get nasty.

- Oliver.

Reply to
Oliver Brearley

It looks like solicitors and mortgage lenders seem to agree with you. A number of my collegues have moved in the last year, and none were asked for such things. One letter I saw just asked for details of any structural alterations and changes to underground sewers/drains, and I think the others had something similar. That seems quite reasonable. A year earlier and all sorts of questions were being asked -- maybe it was just leading to sales falling through for no good reason or maybe they're only interested if you are borrowing near 100% so issues with any of these coming up later if you default might mean they don't get all their money back.

Has anyone here been asked to produce their hot water cylinder certificate when they moved house in the last year?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No - this is what many BCOs assume it means but it is not the case. In fact the sooner TRVs go the way of dinosaurs the better. A programmable stat for the living rooms and another for the bedrooms with temperature varying during the day is FAR more efficient.

Yes. But more than one roomstat is better.

Yes - and this minimum goes up next April.

Tank must be insulated.

Pipes 'outside the structure' must be insulated (this included the porch or understairs if the system is in these as neither are habitable room)

Next year there will be a limit on the temperature at which hot water can be dispensed (in a bath or all - not sure)

Reply to
G&M

He's supposed to send a copy to the building control department.

Reply to
G&M

Time and temperature control of the HW. Stored HW cylinders to meet PArt L (insulation or cylinder and hot pipework).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Wow,

I think the way things are going we are going to need a new group..

uk.d-i-y.new-replacement.installs

Thanks for the replies on this.. Looking through I think I have some idea.

The main thing I want, is that when I move (2 years or so) I want to say "We installed a new heating system"

My guess is they will say "Show me relavent paperwork" I want to show more than they expect.

So I guess something that said building regs and a signature would be good

Reply to
Andrew

Or the removal of a certain deputy prime minister with a penchant for putting fingers where they don't belong.

Reply to
G&M