Do I need a shroud for this cable gland?

Hi,

I am fitting some exterior lighting, and plan to use

connecting the 1.5mm² T+E into the bulkhead lights (the cable is not in direct sunlight as it goes underneath a lip in the render).

Do I need a shroud or will this gland provide sufficient protection against water ingress? Is it better if the cable enters the bulkhead on top, on the side or underneath? Does the need for a shroud vary depending on the entry point? What is the ideal setup?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Well, it's rated IP66 - which is a pretty high degree of weather-proofing - so it should be ok on its own.

I would always try to go into the *bottom* of a bulkhead so that gravity impedes - rather than assists - any possibility of water getting in.

Reply to
Set Square

I have done the same, both recently and in the past. I always put the gland UNDERNEATH where possible, but if it absolutely has to go on the side or (only if there really is no alternative) on the top, then I generally use some silicone sealant on the threads and in the rubber. On the basis that almost nothing is truly waterproof, I always make sure there are a couple of small drain holes in the lowest part of whatever it is I am connecting to. I have too many times opened up supposedly waterproof assemblies and found a nasty surprise because once inside, the water (which may have arrived as condensation) could not escape. This approach has served me well over the years with both electrical installations and also aerial installations (35 years of playing radio).

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry