Do I nail or screw old floorboards before sanding?

I'm planning to sand the original floorboards in our dining room most of which are still nailed down with the original nails. However some have been taken up to install central heating and re-wire. Should I nail these down like the others or take the easier option and screw them? I'm worried the filling I'll have to put on top of the screws will show through when sanded or am I worrying unneccessarily? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Screwing down floorboards lessens the boards creaking 100% and at the same time stops them from rising at the edges. Were as nails make the boards creak or make the floorboards rise over time due to continued traffic,so making sanding down fruitless.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If yours is an old house, heavy hammering can adversely affect the ceiling below. I'm speaking from _personal_ experience.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE