Do entrance gates need to be a certain distance from the road?

Just got a new drive put in and want to put some gates up.

It's a conservation area and our planning permission states that we have to replace the railings and gates with reproduction cast iron of the ones we took down.

It also states that the gates need to be a minimum of 4.5 METRES from the road - is that standard? It's going to look ridiculous.

Anyone done something similar???

ROSIE

Reply to
Liz S

I presume that is the distance for a vehicle to turn in from the road to closed gates, rather than blocking the road. If it is not relevant in your case you could question the decision.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

That sounds like a highways requirement, to ensure that vehicles calling at the house do not have to stop in the road. You could ask whether they would be willing to relax the requirement if automatic gate openers were fitted.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

For a new drive the distance would be a Highways prerequisite to getting planning permission.

Robert

royall at which net

Reply to
look