Do electricians have special powers?

Changed a few sockets at Handyman Towers last week. The dreaded stranded cable. What a sod to work with!

One socket was a spur & had three cables. No way would three wires fit into a terminal - although they had come out of one.

I tried them separately, twisted together, bought an MK socket which had larger terminals & 'just' managed to get the buggers in properly - after about 25 mins of swearing.

Yesterday I had to change an electronic time lag switch (like for like), two 1:0mm cables in each of two terminals. They clearly were not big enough to accept the cables, although once again, two cables had come out.

So, do electricians have some kind of 'cable shrinking ray'?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No. They are obviously the right tool for the job.

Reply to
Richard

UK must have funny fittings,AU general purpose power points will take at least four 2.5 sq mm stranded cables twisted together.

Reply to
F Murtz

I find that twisting wires together makes the overall diam. greater, leavin g them straight ensures they fit. I too had the twisted wire curse making l ife difficult whilst replacing a pull cord switch. We have a lighting circu it dating back to the 70's where the loop in is done at the switches, so ea ch common terminal has 3 wires entering it. The more modern switch plates d on't have terminals to take 3 wires comfortably let alone twisted together. What I found in the pull cord switch was 3 wires twisted together what cou ld fit was pushed into the terminal and the screw tightened leaving at leas t one wire effectively only held on by the twisting not the screw. This was self certified as correct according to the documents presented to us durin g purchase.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's a bit surprising since pretty well all lighting fittings are designed to accept at least 2 x 1mm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The fuller a terminal is, the less likely it is to have problems. Cables are twisted to increase the diameter where a terminal is a bit big. Also the screw bears down on all the cable strands without going between with twisted cables.

As an apprentice, we were taught to bind undersize cables with fuse wire to increase the size. Three x 7/.029 stranded cables only just fitted a socket when untwisted.

I see a lot of new stuff has separate terminals for each cable, eg ceiling roses and some sockets. Better arrangement I suppose.

Reply to
harryagain

Any sensible objections to the idea of cutting one strand of each conductor short? If the strands are pulled out of the insulation and the cut made exactly at the end of it the cut end will retract into the insulation.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would say the trick is to get the wire ends very straight (striaghten each with wide nosed pliers). On a full terminal don't try to insert them all at the same time - add the final one when the others are in place.

Once wires have been in a terminal a deformed a bit under screw terminal pressure, it can make them harder to get back in. If there is enough slack, stripping one back to some "clean" copper can help.

Reply to
John Rumm

No but I swear that cables are prone to Obesity when released from screw terminals or holes in plugtops and sockets. I blame Quantum weirdness myself. they say the universe is expanding faster and faster, well it seems to affect wires as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In the old days I sometimes resorted to tinning the ends, which contrary to what one might imagine, were more easy to squash into the available hole. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just doing the screw up to normal tightness will permanently deform the cores, if it didn't the joint would fail pretty quickly.

Reply to
dennis

That is a bad thing, the joint will fail quicker if you tin it and then use screw fittings.

Reply to
dennis

Brian Gaff formulated the question :

It is a really bad idea to tin the ends. The solder will evenstually settle due to pressure leaving the terminal loose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Cutting out strands is a big no-no.

Reply to
harryagain

Why? Tell me exactly why that is.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Play it out in your mind. What would happen if you stripped a 7-ply cable down to 1-ply?

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Global warming has made the cables expand.

Reply to
alan

If you were going to do it (and I am not suggestion one does) you would need to take careful note of the exact circumstances to factor in if you have left enough margin (i.e. allowing for other de-rating factors as well).

Something like a lighting circuit wired in 1 or 1.5mm T&E usually has ample spare cable capacity when the circuit is protected at 6A. A ring circuit with some sections in insulation however may already be close to its minimum nominal rating of 21A per leg to make a further 1/7th reduction most unwelcome.

Reply to
John Rumm

Short answer - Yes!

I played a similar game with a three gang light switch where I could get two of three (or was it three of four) cores in but never the last one.

Took me bloody ages and some very constructive swearing.

It may be genetic, or part of some advance training course, but electricians seem to be able to do this easily where lesser mortals just toil and swear.

Unless, of course, like plastering bricklaying et al. the first few weeks/ months of training weed out those with the inability to fit far too much into too little space.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts