do B&Q cut worktops for you?

Yes. Generally they ask you to pay first on the argument that you could change your mind and walk away. My counter to that one was that if they screw up the cutting, they should take responsibility, and if I have already paid, that would be more difficult.

They cut; *then* I paid.

However, don't trust them to cut accurately. They don't maintain the accuracy of their saws and the staff are sloppy.

Ask them to cut at least 100mm over length. This also has the advantage that you can trim both ends if needed to deal with any transport dings.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Most worktops have ends where the chipboard core extends past the laminate, so to get, for example a 1.6 metre peice out of a 2 metre worktop needs two cuts.

They also cut from the 'wrong' side occassionally & chip out the surface. Happened when I went with my sister in law to B&Q. The guy couldn't understand what he had done wrong even when he was looking at the chipped edge - which was badly chipped.

They also have no concept of a kerf. As Andy says, watch them like a hawk.

Good idea, but many people have them cut because they don't have facilities, not just to get them in the car.

Can't believe you have B&Q worktops Andy - I would have expected Harrods at least :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't. These were some lengths that they had in a sale for

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surely if you agree to what you will pay for and get, and then pay for it, then that is what they have to deliver. How many times worktops they get through is up to them. Just make sure you are paying for *a* worktop cut to those dimensions, and not *that* worktop, and then going back for an additional 'cutting service'.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Well yes. I just prefer to conduct purchases by my rules rather than what they choose to make up.

The issue is that they scan the barcode on the label and of course it will show the price for the complete piece on the receipt. I have no problem in paying for the complete piece and understand that that is how B&Q sells it - it is not sold in 30cm increments for example.

If I take the complete piece to the till and pay for it first and then take it for cutting, if they screw it up, they have my money and at a price of

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think all the B&Q Warehouses cut worktops, but it's purely on a "to get it in the car" basis, and I don't blame them for that.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

My local one doesn't seem to care (or at least the guy that I saw cutting one fresh of the shelf for someone recently).

If you wanted to be a *real* bastard - perhaps they'd pissed you off with poor service elsewhere in the store - you could take one of their worktops to the cutting guy and get it chopped in half. Then just push the trolley to the other side of the store and walk out.

Ouch.

I wonder where you'd stand legally?! If you ask a member of staff to chop/snap something in half, and they do without actually checking you intend on buying it...?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton