Do 4" by 2" joists exist anymore?

Hullo!

I've got a big hole where I had dry rot and wet rot and I need replacement

4x2 joists - but I can't find any. They all seem undersize.

Before I go traipsing around Nottingham looking for proper 4x2's, does anybody know if it's possible to get them, or will I have to get undersize and pack it.

Also, should I expect joists to be straight? the last lot I bought were warped bigtime.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.

Reply to
Mal Jackson

Mal,

"They all seem undersize." That's because timber sizes have gone metric since your property was built (I presume it's fairly old).

The answer if you really want to put the same size back - is to get some timber the next 'size up' and get the timber merchant to cut to the required dimensions.

With regards to 'bent timber' - just ask the timber merchant if you can select your own - if its badly warped/twisted, then it's useless, mild bends can be straightened.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Never accept bananapine if you want real treewood. Get the right stuff from a decent timber yard and use it before it warps in this hot sunny weather in which we will all die of glowballs or a surfeit of USApeshit.

There are two grades of timber. Planed (or scant/scantling) which will be some 5 mm smaller section than the alternativ: rough sawn. Ask for rough sawn.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Buy the next oversize regularised joists. e.g.

them with a circular saw.

Reply to
dom

thats useally the sawn size pre-final drying out and planing if done..

Rough sawn you should be able to get it, or 100mm x 50mm or whatever it is.

Planed will be about 3/16" smaller all round.

go into a decent BM and select the stuff you want. Most building rough sawn lumber is very much 'no quality control' and its rare to get a totally straight bit.

Unless you spend a lot more on the wood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mal,

A list of Nottinghams timber merchants for you --

Brian G