DIY video projectors

I am seriously considering an investment of the time, money and energy required to build a video projector. With a bit of luck and patience it seems quite possible to acquire the required parts for not much more than £200.

There are several groups and websites dedicated to this kind of thing, including:

Has anyone here attempted this?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Try uk.media.dvd and I think there`s a home cinema group as well that will be more likely to have tried...

Possibly worth a punt over at avforums too...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1hmp1yr.18win63683vy5N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

Lamps are very costly and a poor picture would be annoying. Why not try and get a used one from a company that uses them for business presentations - many will be upgrading to newer / smaller / brighter ones.

Reply to
John

Not in these designs.

But a good one would be nice.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

The message from "John" contains these words:

Dide you visit the website? Their lamps are actually quite cheap.

Reply to
Guy King

I know this is uk.d-i-y but I really think you are wasting your time, effort and money.

For the same price as buying all the bits to build one - and frankly it will be a complete disappointment whatever you do - you could buy a used LCD projector off eBay.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

So do I.

I'd spend the time and money on a whizz-bang arrangement whereby everything folds up invisibly into the ceiling when not wanted.

Those with a basement might add a Wurlitzer or Hammond disappearing below the floorboards...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Its actually very easy, if you dont mind low brightness levels. The old epidiascopes were a black box with the illuminated picture on the back, and a single lens 8" or so in front of it. And thats all thats needed for a basic unit, a screen with as high brightness as poss and a lens. You wont get particularly good light levels and large pics at the same time, but adequate for some tasks.

So really it all depends.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes. When I first read it I thought Camm's Comics were alive and well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) saying something like:

Simplest method (which I see is covered by one of those sites) is to score a used LCD projection panel off ebay and stick it on an overhead projector of decent output. Such combinations have been used for years in the corporate world and are now being sold off cheap. It's ok if you don't mind a darkened room.

I might give it a whirl myself...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon