DIY TV entertainment unit

After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV 'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying from Ikea. But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful. All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints etc are out of the question really. Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a starting point.

Reply to
hicks

karl

You'll find most of these here:

However I have to say that I think you'll find most of the Ikea-type fittings to be not really appropriate, because they rely on holes being drilled very accurately (position/diameter/depth etc) in the edges and sides of the panels, which is hard to do unless you've got all the right kit (drills/jigs etc).

On occasions when I've done my own 'flat-pack' style furniture I've used wooden dowels, which is pretty straightforward if you have a little cheapie jig which sits in the hole you've just drilled, and which marks the position of the next hole using a drill with depth-stop - think I got the drill and jog from B&Q.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yup thanks, I did wonder about the accuracy required. I'll probably use the dowell approach. But it's basic things like how to cleanly cut the panels. I have a jigsaw, which is probably not the correct tool. So I guessed I would need a saw bench or pull mitre saw of some kind.

Reply to
hicks

go for it. once you've tooled up and got the prototypes out of the way you may end up with a decent enough product to sell it. it may be a lot more expensive than the ones you can buy in the shops but if you stick at it for long enough, say 30 years, you may be able to attain the quality of and volume pricing benefits of, say IKEA .........

buy one for now, save your dreams for when you're tooled up and have at least some experience of where to start ;-)

Reply to
.

========================= A jigsaw isn't much good for this kind of work. A good quality hand pull saw (not a mitre saw) will give you clean cuts in Contiboard but getting square cuts depends on your sawing skills.

Cic.

Cicero

Even if you were a proper carpenter it'd still be cheaper at Ikea. Having said that, I bought a TV cabinet recently and the holes in one panel had been drilled in the wrong places for the dowels and cam fasteners - The first time this has ever happened to me on flat pack. Rather than having to lug it all back to the store and then likely buying another with the same problem I just measured up and drilled my own holes to perfection :-)

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Presumably you got someone to read the original post out to you, as you wouldn't have wanted to Read-it-yourself, as clearly there are people who can read faster than you, and heaven forfend that you should do other than meekly consume.

To the O.P - go for it, as people have said it is hard to get a really straight cut with a Jig saw, but you might be able to design something that has the 'factory' cuts to the front, so that any wobbles are hidden. On the other hand jig saws allow you to cut curves! A good supply of sandpaper to smooth things over can work wonders to clean up rough edges.Although not the cheapest material a sheet of 3/4" plywood will give you design flexibility, strength and will look great when varnished. You can be neat and tidy with glued and doweled joints, or just use countersunk screws.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

from ikea ? doubtful.

FWIW if there's anything wrong with any ikea stuff which requires a second visit to pick up spares or return a faulty item they have a per mile fuel refund policy up to a maximum of £15 each way ( I think it's each way )

Reply to
.

yeah, go on, pop a book in front of a blind man, tell him to get stuck in.

with /varnished ply/, in his front room ! LOL

Reply to
.

I'm sceptical about that. The item I looked at costs =A3400+ I can't believe the materials cost anywhere near that. I just feel a little cheated that I'm spending so much, yet in my experience, flat pack items are not very robust, and the construction is simple (but then it needs to be if I'm building it!). However as already stated, I'm paying for the precision in the way the constituent parts are made, and of course the convenience.

Reply to
hicks

I didn't know about the compensation on mileage but it would probably have been too much hassle claiming anyway.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

That's obviously some top end stuff, most of the Ikea stuff I've seen is far cheaper.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I built a TV stand with shelves for VCR's etc above and below 32" TV. For most of the bigger bits carying weight I used 2 sheets of MDF glued together all held together with fixings from Woodfit (like the Ikea fixings).

Got B&Q to cut the major bits of MDF, even paid the 50p charge as they can cut 36mm of MDF (2 x 18mm) so you get two bits absolutely identical for say shelves or sides.

Put boxing at rear to hide and hold cables as well. Spray painted silver.

Reply to
Ian_m

Well it's from the 'Bonde' range and has several parts, which is why it's expensive. I can't see it on their website, but it's in the catalogue. Has a TV unit, with two tall shelf units at either side, and another shelf unit spanning the top.

Reply to
hicks

5 minute job.
Reply to
.

buy the items one at a time if you can't afford it.

it's still cheaper than tooling up.

Reply to
.

======================== You can buy a lot of tools and material for £400-00 ( price of OP's desired purchase) and you have the tools for the next job. It makes good sense especially for someone visiting a DIY group to buy the tools and learn how to use them.

Cic.

Cicero

ok, you now best.

(fix your lame sig)