DIY store prices

You know 10% of f*ck all.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My labour rate doesn't change for individual jobs if the customer supplies parts - although few do. The mark up on parts is an extra.

See above.

Making it up again are we?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Doh! I carry a wide selection of bits in the van & mark them up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Still taking the stupid pills then Dennis?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

WTF did that come from SFB's?

Are you still on the 3 litre boxes of cheap wine?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think he's still on the french antifreeze...

Reply to
Tim Watts
8<

I see what your problem is.. Either you live where everyone is dishonest or you think everyone is dishonest. You really shouldn't think everyone is behaving as you do.

Reply to
dennis

Here is a top tip for Dennis, just try thinking.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

and when a part turns out to be defective, they will charge you to swap it out for another part you supply, and you can deal with returning the part to the manufacturer etc.

If you let them supply the part, then the profit they make on the sale of the parts will go toward covering the expense of dealing with returns and extra labour required for correcting faults at their expense when they are not directly their fault.

Reply to
John Rumm

That seems to be a non sequiter... how do you know how the cost of the van is accounted for? It might be just in labour rates, or it might also include a proportion of anticipated income from materials retail.

You can do that as well. However, without margin on the parts there is no provision for mitigating the costs of rework when a part fails.

Reply to
John Rumm

Funny, that's what I was saying about people buying stuff for others to fit during the VAT debarcle^Wdebate.

Assuming the parts are OEM then the motor company deals with the problem and appoints the (main) dealer to fix it so they are usually quite happy to sort it. The small backstreet garage i use would also do it even if its only because they know me.

Reply to
dennis

HMRC allow 40p/mile as their approved "cars and vans" rate for the first

10k business miles. Thence 25p/mile

John Rumm

they used their car for work purposes.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Is that "record sales" as in the "highest sales in history", or someone used to vinyl being a bit loose with terminology? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't you ever listen? Thats exactly why the main dealer marks up the parts.

If you supply the parts and the garage has to incur extra labour cots because they were faulty, do you seriously expect anyone to believe they would do so for nothing?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Please read what I write and not what you want to see, it saves me having to point out that you are stupid if you actually bother to think!

Reply to
dennis

Mackays can beat Toolstation on the occasional thing, so it's always worth checking.

Theo (lucky enough to have both on the doorstep)

Reply to
Theo Markettos