DIY Solar Hot Water

I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY solar hot water UK installation.

regards,

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:21:58 +0100 someone who may be "Beemer" wrote this:-

What do you mean by DIY?

Assembled from purchased components, rather like a DIY central heating system?

Built out of odd bits that happened to be lying round the house?

Built from scratch, from raw materials like ores?

Reply to
David Hansen

What do you class as 'successful'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Heh. Presumably one which will be in profit before the user dies of old age.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

copper including its use when I designed and installed my own central heating. Despite this I think buying proprietary bits would be easier than building a blast furnace, rolling mill and pipe mill in my own back garden 8:)

I was however wondering whether it is practical to build the roof panel which should save much of its 1000 UK pound cost? Also buying the pump/drain back unit direct e.g. from USA might make further saving.

As for "successful" I admit that I should have left this comment out.

regards,

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:49:07 +0100 someone who may be "Beemer" wrote this:-

I doubt if there are any designs of home built solar collector which would cost £1000 to make. Nearly all the components should be scrap from other things to be home made.

Alternatively for £395 (plus delivery if necessary) one can buy a 20 tube panel from Navitron, which will suit the typical hot water cylinder of around 140L.

They also offer a variety of kits which have the bits for a DIY installation.

Reply to
David Hansen

regards,

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

If Fred Dibnah can do it...(well not quite)

Reply to
Man at B&Q