DIY Sofa

Hi all,

I'm a DIY newbie in need of some help.

I want to build a custom sofa in living room - I've got about 8-9 foot of wall, a corner, then a bay window, another corner, and then about

2-3 ft before coming to the chimney. I would like to make a sofa that follows the contours of the wall unbroken round this run.

My plan was to build a number of boxes (along the lines of those slatted linen boxes that you can get in IKEA) attach them to each other and throw cushions over the top, using the wall as a back for the sofa. I could then hinge the front of these boxes, or create drawers for them, so that we'd gain a load of storage space aswell.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why this wouldn't work, or a better way of doing this? What wood should I use to do it, and how can I be sure to build it strong enough to take a persons weight?

Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
SteveM

If you use the wall as a back you will notice a build up of grime on the wall.

The angle of the seat to the wall wants to be something like 4 to 6 inches in a couple of feet of back height. Have a look at (if you have any) comfortable local park benches.

The seat height wants to be about 17 inches from the floor.

Make a loose fitting slatted framework as a mock up trial piece and adjust its position until you get it right. Then all you need is to make a series of boxes to suit your desires. Upholsering is as simple or as elabourate as you want it to be.

Being something of a skip-haunter, I'd be inclined to try and find a load of similar model front car seats at a scrap-yard and set them on drawer units or on hinges on boxes.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I hope you're good at sewing, because the framework of furniture is very simple, but the coverings are a real pain in proverbial if you can't use a sewing machine properly.

Reply to
BigWallop

Don't you just need some foam & a staple gun?!

Reply to
adder

Couldn't you just use 8 combies stacked together?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Had a DIY type sofa, once, very comfortable. Lasted faultlessly, unlike most sofas, but of course had none of the pretentions that modern sofas usually have.

Both seat and back need to be tilted for comfort. So using the wall for a back is a real no-no. A simple wooden frame with slats is all thats needed. If moneys problematic, chipboard would do for the seat bases if it wont be seen. Dont use melamine chip though :)

For fabric covering it, theres no need. Wood looks good, as long as you dont stain it, and especially dont use that dreadful coloured varnish. Wood floor varnish should wear well.

Simple garden furniture type full long rectangular cushions provide comfortable squish and softness, but finding some that look decent is another matter. You'll inevitably need to make covers for the squishies. Sheet foam works nicely, but is pricey. If you use that, do get the 2 layer stuff, firm foam with a soft top layer bonded on.

The wood: I found 4" x 3/4" works ok for the sit on slats but is not

100% abuse proof. 1" would be best I think. Keeping gaps small helps for best comfort.

The frame: 2x2, 2x3, or 1.5x2.5 CLS. The CLS comes with ready rounded edges which saves work if you have no plane. For the others I'd plane

1-2mm off each corner, at 45 degrees. Simple and looks quite good.

If OTOH you want something fancier, you could go to plywood and use a scrollsaw to cut out all the shapes your heart desires. Tidy up the edges with a drum sander and you have a typical 1930s type of furniture construction.

Or if you want cheapass, box shapes can be made from chip.

BTW the simplest form of storage is just a drop curtain on the front: just lift it for access. Liftoff or hinged front panels are better though, but can be added later if desired.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton