DIY shower enclosure?

Thinking ahead to a bathroom project, and not liking the price/appearance ratio of most commercially available units, what experiences have people had of just buying large sheets of glass/polycarb/acrylic etc, and building their own?

I assume safety glass is mandatory? Or is it? Would NOT want to slip and fall through a plate glass housing...

Thinking roughly along the lines of several sheets to allow walk in without opening door, but still provide a splash barrier.

Base would be what? I have to construct that over chip floor, and raise it a little to get drainage angles so probably a step up into the tray....?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We wanted a wet shower in an alcove area so I built one using a

1200x1200 stone resin tray and raised floor made out of flooring grade chipboard screwed to old wall beams and covered with water resistant AquaPanel. The main shower walls are fully tiled floor to ceiling and the entrance is all glass bricks in a step fashion up to well above head height.

Took me bloody ages, principally 'cos I'd never built a glass brick wall before, or installed a shower. The only thing I wished I'd done is put the tray on a bed of mortar 'cos I'm sure it moves sometimes when you step in - this is why its leaked once. Seems to have stabilised now though.

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy