DIY screws

I'm sure I can make a device to hold screw blank while I'm grinding it. It will be quicker to grind it than to drive to a foundry and pick it up, and they would charge $100 for their time.

Reply to
Matty F

I guess it's a question of how many you want to make.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Why not buy a modern screw, cut the head off, weld a bit of metal on, file it to that old fashioned shape you want?

Reply to
dennis

I know the tool as a thread chaser, it was used after cutting the basic threads onto engineering bolts. By using a rest and holding it against the left hand side of the thread, it cut the bottom and top curves to perfection. I've never seen this sort of tool cut threads from blank bar though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yup, that's the beasty - somewhat akin to the way a wood turner would use a turning gouge etc.

In this application I was thinking the basic thread could be cut with a die in the normal way, and then refined to a taper using the chaser.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is the mercury arc rectum-frier for the tram system still running there? It was the only 'live' one of any significant size I'd ever seen, and completely captivating to watch, but that was getting on for a decade ago now.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes it's still working fine. They are very reliable. There are four of them running and one is visible.

Matty F