DIY Scout badges

I have a 6 week task to get the gf's lad to pass either

or

So let's assume I go for the DIY badge - that's a piece of piss. However I have now been tasked with making equipment suitable for a group meeting so that other members of the group can obtain this badge. Now I guess I can get an old CH water tank and make up a ball c*ck that needs adjusting and use the same tank for the "curing an airlock in the water" bit.

Any suggestions to make this fun are welcome.

I have no problem with spending a few quid on parts to make this a worthwhile badge.

Reply to
ARW

ARW scribbled...

Install/replace cd and/or hd on a computer.

Remove Norton Futilities from a computer...

Reply to
Jabba

Can that be done?

Reply to
ARW

Yes, there's a utility to do it on the Norton website.

John Williamson

ARW scribbled...

Unlikely unless you use format.

Reply to
Jabba

don't you just stop paying for it?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Even if you use the uninstall option in Windows, it leaves a lot of stuff behind.

Not paying the subscription just stops it working and tells it to start nagging you to buy the latest version.

Reply to
John Williamson

Sorry - don't get that at all. Are you saying that someone, somewhere actually *started* paying for it?

Reply to
polygonum

Back in about 1996, when I built my first Windows 95 based PC, I bought a full copy of NU for Windows, which included the antivirus as a special offer.

I got over it by 1998, when I started using FAT32 hard drives and NU couldn't work on them.

Reply to
John Williamson

t=56,135,156&moduleID=10

for 'patching a leaking pipe' do it outside, with a hosepipe feeding two le ngths of scrap copper pipe; the scout that fixes theirs first wins a small prize and gets less wet

'thawing frozen pipes' use the same kit, but freeze the pipe with pipe free zer or fill them with water and put them in the freezer before taking them outside and connecting them to the hosepipe. First to thaw the pipe will st art squirting and then they have to patch it.

do you or someone you know have a 'practice wiring board' with a small CU a nd couple of sockets etc on it to do the circuit breaker reset? At a safe d istance or behind a clear plastic shield send some current through thin fus e wire from a power supply that will stand a dead short until the fuse clea rs, so they can see the fuse vaporise and discuss the purpose of a fuse, ho w bad connections can overheat and cause a fire, etc

for home security survey the police often do these, maybe a police officer could come and show them how to do it. you could do a quiz about what's mos t likely to be stolen and from where (see if they guess car keys from the h all table through the letterbox)

for most of the 'major tasks' unless they can do them at home then you prob ably need a scout hall refurbishment project. Does assembling Argos flat-pa ck count?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

lengths of scrap copper pipe; the scout that fixes theirs first wins a smal l prize and gets less wet

easiest diy task ever... do nothing.

water and put them in the freezer before taking them outside and connectin g them to the hosepipe. First to thaw the pipe will start squirting and the n they have to patch it.

and couple of sockets etc on it to do the circuit breaker reset? At a safe distance or behind a clear plastic shield send some current through thin f use wire from a power supply that will stand a dead short until the fuse cl ears, so they can see the fuse vaporise and discuss the purpose of a fuse, how bad connections can overheat and cause a fire, etc

Mains is good for that, or was until MCBs became common. A 12v SLA is bette r for kids. If no safety screen just use an old 1.25" glass fuse.

r could come and show them how to do it. you could do a quiz about what's m ost likely to be stolen and from where (see if they guess car keys from the hall table through the letterbox)

another good one

obably need a scout hall refurbishment project. Does assembling Argos flat- pack count?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I did it once, took over 2hrs using regedit, still not sure if I got it all but it stopped it. Someone told me it it easier now that they seemed to have been forced to make an undelete that works.

Reply to
F Murtz

How about a toilet cistern. You have a ball valve and a siphon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wonder how much Norton related rubble it leaves behind?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Bypassing Internet filters - every 14 year old has worked out that one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The 'basic servicing checks on car' one is easy, and you get your car washed for free.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Letting other people's kids go hands-on[1] with used engine oil strikes me as seriously bold and courageous for 2014.

Possibly putting on a spare wheel and inflating it to the right pressure - assuming there's additional adult supervision to stop daft buggers kigging the jack out, bouncing on the wings etc?

[1] or hands-in, on-faces etc
Reply to
Robin

The original Norton Utilities back in the good old DOS days were small elegant and actually quiet useful. They could allow you to do things that looked just like magic to an onlooker. It evolved into massive ineffective bloated nagware with the arrival of Windows.

Reply to
Martin Brown

leID=10 or

So let's assume I go for th e DIY badge - that's a piece of piss. However I have now been tasked with m aking equipment suitable for a group meeting so that other members of the g roup can obtain this badge. Now I guess I can get an old CH water tank and make up a ball c*ck that needs adjusting and use the same tank for the "cur ing an airlock in the water" bit. Any suggestions to make this fun are welc ome. I have no problem with spending a few quid on parts to make this a wor thwhile badge. -- Adam

How about putting up a shelf or cutain pole.

Reply to
AlanC

Carburettor setup and distributor gap adjustments? That'll fox 'em.

Or: How to change channel and volume on a TV set when the remote control dies. Hint: "You need to get up off the sofa......."

Reply to
Davey