DIY pin board

Page 1 of 2
Number one daughter started P1 and No. 2 started nursery this Sept. and the amount of "art" coming home is staggering. The wee blighters want it up for all to admire. No.2 is coming home with a least 4 A3 sized sheets every flaming day. I could paper the entire house in it, but I would like to get a cork (or other) board about A2 sized so 2 A3 sheets can be displayed at once.
I want to DIY this as spending 19.99 for a board to display the little darlings geniuses makes me choke. Any ideas, and where could I purchase these ideas? B&Q have nowt.
Ta Suzanne

the
for
get
I spent just over 30 on MDF, wood, adhesive and cork tiles making one about 1200mm x 900mm for The Management (SWMBO) and then found I could buy a lighter, smarter, professionally manufactured one from RS Components for 29.99.
Arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying .. as, sick, parrot, a, as.
I just stuck the desired quantity of cork floor tiles to the wall to make a notice board.
Rob Graham

Hate to say it, but the bills just get bigger for the next 15 years or so.....
Why do they make childrens shoes to last a long time?
PoP

I saw a very attractive pinboard a few years ago made from wine-bottle corks set in a deep frame, and decided I'd like one. Have been collecting corks ever since and despite our moderate consumption of the stuff, am still a long way from my goal. Hasn't been helped by the influx of nasty placky 'corks' either. For an A2-sized board... wow!
Sorry, that wasn't much help to you was it?
David

Some bloke is selling them on the internet. I saw it when I was Googling for cork. Maybe a local restaurant would donate. Cottage industry, hmm? If my 2 don't stop killing one another I'll have a good supply of them myself. By six o'clock!

Fibreboard?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
"Peter Parry" wrote in message

Sundeala board (aka medium board) is good for making notice boards. Manufacturer's info at http://www.sundeala.co.uk/index2.htm
--
Andy

the
for
get
I thought that was what fridges were for? Why not get a sheet of steel (side panel from washing machine, door from old fridge or similar) and use fridge magnets to hold up the petite picasso's masterpieces.
Andy McKenzie

(side
fridge
Reading this to my hubby and he said he thought that was what the bin was for. Heartless. We have 2 fridges and they both have crap already on them. My shopping list, notes and receipts have been shunted to the side of the microwave. I could murder the inventor of that kids program "Art Attack", especially when he does a "big art attack" outside. That led to a v interesting grass clipping and garden tool arrangement this summer. "No mummy it doesn't have 3 legs - its a daddy one!".
I like the metal and magnet idea. Bit safer than pins too when baby starts crawling. I take it the local dump is the place for an old fridge door?
Suzanne
"Suz" wrote | I like the metal and magnet idea. Bit safer than pins too when baby | starts crawling.
And when they start reading you can get the magnetic letters and words.
| I take it the local dump is the place for an old fridge door?
If you know a supermarket that is refitting (or the shopfitters doing it) you might be able to scrounge some big enamelled steel shelves. If they're smooth enamelled they might even be suitable for drawing on with dry-wipe or wet-wipe markers.
Owain

We're already covered in those :-) Haven't got words just numbers and letters. Number 1 learnt and understood numbers v quickly but had no interest in letters so we got some. Suddenly it all clicked for her and she was going round the house with a clipboard copying words off appliances - Panasonic, Samsung, etc. She looked like a mini inspector of stuff. Seen those words in a few kids places like www.letterbox.co.uk . Wonder could I diy some? hmmm.
"Suz" wrote | > And when they start reading you can get the magnetic letters and words. | We're already covered in those :-) ... | Seen those words in a few kids places like www.letterbox.co.uk . Wonder | could I diy some? hmmm.
There are make your own fridge magnet kits available from the places that stock 10,000 different varieties of inkject paper, but it would probably be cheaper to beg some offcuts of magnetic vinyl from a sign maker, they're used for respositionable vehicle signs, and print your own (maybe on sheets of sticky labels) and stick to the magnetic vinyl backing. You could also use the magnetic vinyl in patches to make existing flashcards etc magnetic.
Owain

Friend of mine routinely said "Yes, lovely, I'll take it to work and put it up in the office"
All went well for some months until daughter accompanied the Dad into the office one weekend. "But where are my paintings?" said the child. Thinking quickly he said "Oh they are in my other office". Child left impressed - "my dad has 2 offices!!"
Not sure how long this strategy will work, however the Toth fairy still visits us, although I don't know if that is because of innocent belief or an underlying development of avarice....
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Eric Dockum) wrote:

Or maybe you simply have too many Toth's ;-) With us it was definitely avarice though.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

the
for
get
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:01:27 GMT, Suz wrote

It'll be interesting to know if you actually save much on the twenty quid for a ready-made board, once you've priced up what you need.
I often find that by the time I've priced up the bits and bobs for this sort of project -- "hmmmm....a frame would be nice"; that sort of thing -- it often winds up costing me at least as much to make my own than to buy the thing in the first place.
(The mileage of others may vary on this, of course -- a lot depends on how much scrap stock you've got around that you can use.)
--
Cheers, Harvey

Absolutely. If Gnube was making a notice board, I expect the backing would be a rather tasteful bit of veneered-and-inlaid board bearing a passing resemblance to the kickboard of a no-longer-serviceable piano, for example ;-)
Hi snipped-for-privacy@hp.com In you wrote:

Perhaps some ivory inlay detailing around the edges..... candle holder or two..... ;-)
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

And I thought I was the only one who can remember Liberace?
PoP