DIY (OT) PPI

I know this sounds extremely stupid. Can anyone tell me what a PPI actually is?

I thought they were just attached to loans - which I don't have and never have but watching "Watchdog" last night the wheels turned a bit. We had a mortgage taken out in 1999 and I paid it off early in 2008 ( from working and getting it , not savings). It was with the RBS. It was a re payment mortgage.

Now on it ( or with it) there was an insurance which was with the Royal Scottish Assurance which we paid an extra £20 a month on for paying off the mortgage in case of death of one of us ( I thought but when the crunch came and I read it , it was in fact just my husband, which I had never known. I didn't ask for it , I was told I had to have it at the time, (and frankly it was useless as it never covered anything. But thats beside the point). Was this insurance a PPI?

I know I had trouble le with it because they wanted to carry on taking their money even after I paid the mortgage off and sent threatening letters at the time.

If so, should I claim do you think? I don't want to ask a PPI company ( God knows they are always ringing up!) because I don't want to get into anything, besides it says on the internet and on Watchdog last night, you can do it yourself.

Simple straightforward answer appreciated . Thanks. ( would put it in legal but DIYer's seem to know more than legal and are more straightforward about it).

Reply to
sweetheart

payment mortgage.

Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) AFAIAA. Which sounds like what you were sold but not completely sure without further investigation. The ads say you might have a case if you think you were mis sold it. There is a website where you can punch in the details and see. Don't know the URL but the FSA would-be a good place to start.

D.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Go here,

You don't have to register for anything there and there's no need to get your (gods, how I detest this acronym) "OH" involved. You'll need to actually click on some of the links, but all the information you need is there in one form or another so you won't have to keep telling us that your (gods, how I detest this acronym) "OH" won't let you do this, that or whatever. Good luck with your claim.

Reply to
A bloke

Sounds like what you purchased was "Mortgage Decreasing Term Life Assurance" I've not heard anything in the news that suggests the PPI mis-selling includes these policies.

Andy Burns

find the papers - YES I do need OH as when we paid the mortgage off all the papers were put in the loft.

OH is likely to go up and find them - anything with money he is on the ball. He is obsessed.

But it wasn't just a paying off plan , it covered sickness and loss of job as well I think. We both always thought a) we had no choice in having it

b) it covered both of us as it was on the mortgage and the mortgage was joint names, but I found out when I paid it all off it was only on OH - if he died or was sick it paid me - which was rubbish as I didn't need it.

OH had a job which had a widows pension and a pay out from his employer ( and his pension ) if he died or was sick or had to give up work, or even if made redundant. He was 50 when we got the mortgage ( it was 30K) and his pension could crack in any time he wanted after 50 and his firms redundancy package would have been included as well.

In fact thats what we took in the need when he did retire ( was made redundant) three years ago.

So I just dont know. Hence I asked.

We paid the mortgage off early - I could have paid it off sooner b ecause I earned the money to pay it. Thats why we paid it off in less than 10 years ( it had a 20 year term)

I just do not know and none of the sites seem to answer this - is the fact it was taken out in 1999 meaning it was taken before the rules ? So we cant claim anyway?

I never associated the term PPI with this thing. They called it an assurance plan.

Reply to
sweetheart

So are you saying that your husband has a useless point?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No, but it looks as though yours is pointless doesnt it?

Reply to
sweetheart

Eh?

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Don't worry - its an ongoing thing. The man ( is he a man?) concerned has made several more direct comments about my OH being impotent and I have come to the conclusion he is the one with the erection issues ( or is that a damp squib maybe?) Hence comment. Not my usual style. Sorry. I am just tired of his pointless comments.

Reply to
sweetheart

Did I touch a nerve?

Anyway, the money you have saved on your mortgage can pay for the storage heaters to be turned on.

Or there is always

ARWadsworth

No nerver. I just think you have a nerve making such off topic comments about someone who isnt here to read it or reply. It might be acceptable if your comments had foundation ( I know many have made suggestions as to what I could do with OH but I am sure they jest and realise that no matter what faults and most men only have two - everything they say and everything they do - I love my OH. I do not think secual inuendo is acceptable here . Its a DIY group. I hope other men would find it equally unacceptable to make such comments too. Gentlemen certainly would. Women have a word for me whose minds seem to be constantly on one thing as yours is. Its p**ck.

Lets face it, its not necessary is it? It doesnt take the conversation anywhere does it?

Reply to
sweetheart

I don't think there's been mention of a chicken run.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The "OH" wouldn't allow one.....

Reply to