DIY mum left with horrific burns

The angle grinder lobby in uk.d-i-y haven't seen this one ?

A mum was left with horrific burns on her legs after kneeling in B&Q cement while carrying out DIY in her kitchen.

Jane Dobson feared her legs 'were going to explode' after corrosive cement soaked through her trousers and began burning her flesh.

The 46-year-old spent nine days in hospital and needed a skin graft after suffering the gruesome injuries as she tried to lay cement on her kitchen floor.

Read more:

rusty one

Reply to
therustyone

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember therustyone saying something like:

determining that the product did not breach any safety laws and the chain store could not have reasonably foreseen someone kneeling in it."

Just how stupid is she?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"After the hearing Miss Dobson, an engineering NVQ assessor from Millbrook, Southampton, said she is now considering a private civil action."

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach, as my dad used to say.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

The lawyers will be glad of the money. I hope she has to pay their fees up front.

Reply to
John Williamson

Oh good grief, just the excuse the building industry needed to prevent cement being widely available ! ;-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Grimly Curmudgeon ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEgmail.com) wibbled on Thursday 17 February 2011 00:52:

McDonalds' coffee category I'd say.

Reply to
Tim Watts

civil

"engineering" but presumably not "construction".

The bags of cement I have bought for a very long time have had warnings about the caustic nature of it. Not to allow skin contact etc. Pretty sure those warnings included the wet mortar/concrete not just the dry powder which is the only hook I can think of she can hang a case on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 01:31:50 GMT, Chris Wilson gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

And those that cant teach, take gym

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

And "assessor", not teacher, so probably all she has to do is read the paperwork and tick the boxes.

It's years since I bought any cement, and I never actually saw many of the bags, but a warning was on them even in the 80s. And the lad that got severely burnt on his legs when he took his wellies off because they were too hot and sweaty got no sympathy at all on site.

Reply to
John Williamson

"Southampton magistrates heard the label on the cement, bought from its Nursling depot near Southampton, Hants, read: 'Risk of serious damage to eyes. Irritating to respiratory system and skin.

'In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Wear eye and face protection.'"

Apparently, they have added a warning about dermatitis and burns since Trading Stadanrds brought the case.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Mike P the 1st ( snipped-for-privacy@northofwherethecustardstops.com) wibbled on Thursday 17 February 2011 08:11:

With geography as a backup.

Reply to
Tim Watts

(%EMAIL) wibbled on Thursday 17 February 2011 08:50:

Perhaps sheds need to put cement etc in a section with this sign on the end:

Tim Watts

Do you remember this one?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

B+Q cement is, of course, so much worse than any other.

Did she not read the safety instructions on the side of the bag?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Skipweasel ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Thursday 17 February

2011 10:43:

Enjoy (safe for work cartoons):

3.ly/NQnu 3.ly/5Dtu 3.ly/9qaR 3.ly/X9mA 3.ly/P6As 3.ly/2fMX
Reply to
Tim Watts

Just out of interest, are there any news readers that will open those as web links? Because if not, shortening the original URLs like this isn't exactly helpful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

"Tim Downie" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

HTH.

Reply to
Adrian

Does anyone know why it is always Libyan domains that are used for this URL shortening thing?

Reply to
Paul Herber

Paul Herber gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Because bit.ly started it off, with a domain name that was easily pronounceable as a kinda-word, and all the others went "Oooh! Bandwagon!" without quite understanding why.

Oh, and...

Adrian

I'd already looked at them. I was just trying to make the point that a shortened URL doesn't really help much if you then have to copy & paste or manually add http's to them all.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie