DIY mince pies a no-no

Page 1 of 5
Just made some mince pies with the kids in an effort to act like a good parent. Big hassle trying to find a rolling pin in a local shop. Bought the puff pastry and mincemeat like what mummy used to make. Made the bottoms, put the mince in, some different tops and popped into oven.
All well and good. Now I know why my mother used to blind bake the bottoms first. Each puff pastry bottom had launched itself up and over in that shape a slinky makes going down stairs. The children were horrified but giggling and my husband highly amused. Wiped the smirks off their faces when I made them eat them anyway.
Buying the next lot from M&S

Shop!!!! This is uk.d-i-y! You need a short piece of 40mm waste pipe (retrieve from skip and wash thoroughly). Stand on end, fill with fine concrete and allow to set before using.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

Pheep! Oi, Ref! You missed a step.....
Liberally coat 40mm waste pipe with flour prior to using. This prevents stickage of stand-in rolling pin with material used for making mince pie bases/tops.
PoP

Some years ago when I was living in a rented house, I used a milk bottle. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one of those for a long time...
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I bow to you greater experience!
Mary

geoff

geoff wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:54:28 -0500, S Viemeister

So where did the original contents go then? ;)
PoP
PoP wrote:

Hrumph.
We weren't invited, were we folks?
Mary

Suz : > > wrote: : > >> Just made some mince pies with the kids in an effort to act : > >> like a good parent. Big hassle trying to find a rolling pin in : > >> a local shop. : > > : > > Shop!!!! This is uk.d-i-y! You need a short piece of 40mm waste : > > pipe (retrieve from skip and wash thoroughly). : > : > Some years ago when I was living in a rented house, I used a : > milk bottle. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one of those : > for a long time... : > : Sherry bottles work well as rolling pins..... : I have used a wine bottle in the past - some californian ones are a good shape. Thought seeing it was the kids I could do without that story being retold in school.
"Suz" wrote | I have used a wine bottle in the past - some californian ones are a | good shape. Thought seeing it was the kids I could do without that | story being retold in school.
Oh don't fool yourself, primary school teachers are experts at finding out all about children's home lifes.
"This afternoon children we're going to draw a shopping trolley and I want you to draw in all the things mummy and daddy buy when they go shopping.
"You've drawn some apples and some mange-tout, Tamsin, very nice. What's that Wayne, well that's not how you spell special brew, why don't you rub it out and change it into a nice packet of hob-nobs? I'm sure your mummy does buy hob-nobs Wayne. Oh. Well I'm sure daddy didn't mean to get angry with mummy when she bought hob-nobs instead of special brew. Don't do that, George."
Owain
Suz

Trouble is, you get Co-op (or please rinse and return to your milkman) on every tart ...
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Anyway - that's why I use sherry bottles.
Happy Christmas, Mary.
Sheila

No wonder there are so few doorstep deliveries these days, the fun's gone out of it for the milkman!

And the same to you Sheila, and all my friends on this ng.
Mary

Suz

Spouse has just read this and reminded me that the Indians we knew who made chapattis used 3/4" dowel.
A broom handle would do it - remove the broom first.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

If you leave the broom on then it stops it rolling off the work surface.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

You haven't tried rolling with the business end attached, have you? :-)
Mary

geoff