DIY might be the death of you

:

A man has been sentenced to life in prison after murdering his neighbour in a row over noisy DIY.

Christopher Hoyland, 42, of St Barnabas Road, Middlesbrough, had written in his diary that noise from George Evans was "pushing me over the edge" ...

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Having previously worked in a housing department in the early 1990's, I believe lax building standards with regard to noise is the number 1 problem facing people in social housing. The flood of noise complaints during school holidays just had to be seen to believed. (I read every letter of complaint we received and entered the details into a log book to be allocated to the Housing Officers for investigation) The 1950's housing was the worst IMHO, with paper thin walls allowing neighbourhood quarrels to fester, even between what I would call quite reasonable people. A flushing toilet should not be able to cause annoyance to anyone at anytime.

I think if it was almost impossible to hear your neighbours, we would all get on a whole lot better with our neighbours. I've got great neighbours, but I'd love to have a lot better sound proofing than we currently have in our 1960's semi.

Reply to
big al - Peoples Pal

In message , big al - Peoples Pal wrote

The same builders probably built private housing to the same (low) standards.

Reply to
Alan

According to the news, it was constant drilling that annoyed him. Pretty well no practical insulation will defeat an SDS drill being used in the party wall...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The previous owners of our first house were in dispute with the next door neighbours. When we redecorated the master bedroom, we discovered rows and rows of holes drilled in the party wall (and filled in again). The neighbours said he used to do this in the small hours of the morning ...

Reply to
Huge

Murder would then seem fully justified...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I wouldnt assume all reports were true and accurate. Things are often not reported with much accuracy in these kind of neighbour disputes. I cant imagine how anyone could drill constantly, theyd soon have no house left. A definite red flag.

Also bear in mind someone has just committed a major crime.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton