DIY Loft Conversion

Recently bought a house with a loft conversion (done in 1993) and no building regs completion certificate. After checking with surveyor (his opinion was that the conversion appeared to be in order) and our solicitor we asked the vendors to purchase building-regs indeminity insurance policy (approx 50GBP) which we can pass on to whoever we sell the house to and so on.

But we only purchased the house because the surveyor was happy that things seemed to have been done properly. If he wasn't we wouldn't have bought it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:54:07 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Peter Parry randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

No, it is the other way around.

The Building Act allows for a Section 36 notice to rectify a contravention to be served no more than 12 months after the offence occurred. An injunction can be sought after this time, but this is exceptional, and would only be for a dangerous occurrence. I've never heard of such an injunction being applied for.

I don't know a lot about Planning, but I believe that a notice to pull down the offending work can be served up to 7 years after, and under Listed Building legislation I think there's no time limit.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:24:47 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee named Rob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Rob Summers) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

What did you get for this indemnity insurance? Planning Permission (in the vast majority of cases) doesn't apply to loft conversions; unless you're in a listed building, a conservation area or National Park, then Listed Buildings legislation wouldn't apply. It's only Building Regulations that would apply, and enforcement action can only be taken within 12 months of the work being carried out.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Do you know how tiresome these "funny" introductions get? [Clue: very]

I'm not sure I understand your point. I make no mention of planning permission. Advice from solicitor was that such a document would make it much easier to sell the house in the future as, in theory, enforcement action for building regs can be taken at any time, although in practice this doesn't happen and since the premium is so little I imagine that no-one ever claims on it, however I didn't pay for it, the vendors did.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

I know you didn't. It's my understanding that these policies cover Planning as well as Building Control. My point is that they seem to be policies being taken out when there is _no_ possibility that a claim will be made against it. Any premium goes straight into the bank accounts of the underwriters, solicitors, etc., and stays there. I've yet to see any evidence that they are _not_ a total rip-off.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

It's my screen real estate (on a terminal) you live with the medium; 2 extra unnessecary lines on a console is a lot. Can I politely ask you to be a bit more considerate?

You understand wrongly - it is specifically building regs indeminity insurance.

Whilst I wholly agree with you; I will, some day, want to sell my house. Anything that makes that sale easier and less problematic is worth it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers