DIY Lintel/Pad Block

Hi. I have a complicated requirement for a lintel for above a window that used to be door and an adjacent interior wall that will be removed for a wall opening. (It was discussed here a couple of months ago) In short, I have to install a longer lintel for the wall opening that will rest on the the inner leaf of an external wall plus 3" of the wall to be removed.

|| | window requiring lintel on inner leaf |

+-------interior wall-------------------------------------- will have opening 7ft wide || || So the lintel for the window (that used to be a door) will be about 42" long where the last 4" of one end will have a width of 6" (L shaped).

I have a bag of Hanson ready mixed concrete from B and Q..will this be good?

And if rebar is required, how is it set into the shuttering/box (mold for lintel) I make?

Is this the right thing to do?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

What does BC say?

Reply to
js.b1

???

Reply to
Arthur 51

Arthur 51 wibbled on Monday 23 November 2009 21:40

Building Control aka LABC at teh local council...

Reply to
Tim W

BC = Building Control.

Structural eng giving calculations re lintel, padstone requirements (class-1 brick, cast, reinforced). Basically you can a) oversize everything so any domestic load can be handled or b) get a structural engineer to specify what is actually required proven by calculation.

Reply to
js.b1