DIY Legality

-----------------------------As Andy Wade said ------------------------------ [Knotting a flexible cord, as means of restraint]

Oh yes it is. It's explicitly banned in all the appliance standards,

Interesting that you were more than willing to suggest something which is explicitly banned.

It is always nice when you come across someone who obviously has experience and is willing to share it rather than a smart arse who *thinks* he knows it all.

(As for your need to criticise my use of English - I was really impressed by that failed attempt)

You may f*ck off now - but do read what Andy Wade has said - you may find it useful sometime if you seek employment as an amateur sparks somewhere.

Reply to
Judith

I'm not talking about the rich ones that bought the house.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I trust that you have used a UV resistant 'varnish'? If not then your non-council house door will look worse than a slum-house in a couple of years.

Reply to
Woodworm

Most "council tenants" aren't as naff as private owners!

Reply to
Woodworm

Not sure why you are determined to throw toys out of the pram over this, however lets do it again for the last time...

You asked:

"Any suggesti "No idea without looking."

However since you asked me to speculate, I added:

"The easy way would be to tie a knot in the flex."

Since this is commonly done in practice. I was not advocating it however. I would not do it myself, but its an easy way to do it, and lots of people do it - even professionals who should know better.

I went on to say:

"A *better* way would be to put a cable tie tightly round it. Alternatives would be a P clip under one of the fixing screws etc. "

(my emphasis)

These were ways I was advocating, hence why I promoted them as "better". In another post I also pointed out that the more usual solution when taking a flex into a surface mounted box would be simply to clip it to the surface outside of the box, and then there is no need for restraint inside the box.

Thank you. Glad you appreciate it.

When answering technical questions - especially any where terminology may be important, I find it helpful to be clear. Sometimes that requires addressing errors in the question. Don't take this as a personal slur on your reputation as a cunning linguist.

I always read what Andy has to say, he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of a wide range of topics, and is particularly strong on electrical matters. He is a highly respected poster in uk.d-i-y and other groups.

I have no idea what your posting history is, or what reputation you have created for yourself, however I am beginning to get some idea.

Erm that does not really make sense does it? I think you will find that employment would imply being paid to do a job, and hence make one a professional not an amateur.

I am sure you would like the last word, so go on, knock yourself out ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Didn't have to be 'rich' to buy a council house using the RTB scheme - the early buyers (those before the YUPPIES started paying silly prices) bought their home for and average of around £5000.

Remember, it was the idiotic nouveau riche that force house prices to stupid heights - along with subsequent slumps leaving may in negative equity.

Reply to
Woodworm

I've done renovations for some, and I'd say you were correct 50% of the time. The other 50% though I wouldn't leave a dog in overnight.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Never thought of that, but it's stayed ok for 5 years. It doesn't get direct sunlight though (and there isn't much of that in Scotland anyway!)

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

We can't be sure, but it looks like it passes diagonally behind the cooker.

It could actually be powering the cooker, though that seems unlikely.

Or (this seems most likely to me) it could connect to the socket visible to the left of the cooker at the bottom. You can't tell for sure because if it did come to that at the expected angle, it would be hidden behind the bike wheel.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Nope.

I can see large knobs on the front. I cannot see any indication that they are gas knobs.

This looks the closest match I can find

closest gas one I can find is this, but it doesn't have a lid, and it has an ignition button or light to the left of the leftmost knob.

will note that the knobs on the two are just about identical, so you cannot judge from them whether it is gas or electrical powered.

Reply to
Alex Heney

I once owned a gas cooker with a lid like that (no bloody handle):-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There does seem to be a twin and earth grey cable running across the floor. Possibly the cooker feed?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry - I was using the OED definition:

"sometimes used disparagingly, as = dabbler, or superficial student or worker"

or perhaps you prefer the Free Dictionary:

"unskillful"

Or Dictionary.com:

"a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity"

See - not necessarily anything to do with whether one is paid or not.

You will now be able to go away from this having learnt something - so off you go.

Reply to
Judith

Judith,

Out of curiosity:

Could I ask, if you are currently an electrician 'qualified' to IEE 17th Edition standard - or greater?

Could I also ask, your motives for questioning the legality of the wiring in the photograph that you supplied the link to?

Could I also ask, if you took the photograph, if you did, did you have the owners permission to photograph inside and/or the property?

Could I ask if, you didn't take the photograph, have you obtained the copyright owner's permission to reproduce it?

The [truthful] answers to those questions could be required to ascertain as to whether you have a genuine query as to the safety of the occupants of the property - or simply being vexatious for your own reasons.

Cash

All references to sex and travel will be ignored.

Reply to
Cash

Then in general the cabling itself (and fittings) should be able to tolerate at least that amount without failure.

Reply to
Ste

It is clearly the KD3C11 halogen version. The gas one does not have the "hot surface" indicator light amongst the knobs, whereas the one in the original picture does.

Reply to
Ste

Now go and look at the picture, and while you're at it, find a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "must".

HTH.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Looks more like the KD6 series that is available in both gas and electric versions.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

No it doesn't.

Reply to
Ste

Oh! Yes it does.

The KD3 does not have the digital display, the edge of which, and the buttons for which you can just see between the saddle stem and the upper light.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff