DIY Legality

Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring, then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in anyway?

Reply to
Judith

It doesn't look very conventional which should ring alarm bells, but without knowing a lot more details about what it's connected to, the size of the load, cable, and circuit protection (fuses/MCB), and when it was connected up, it's impossible to say.

A white cable running diagonally across the surface of the wall is not by itself a contravention of anything beyond bad taste.

Yes, if they did it incorrectly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

AND... there's Marmite!!

Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring, then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in anyway? ===============================================

Whoever fitted that double socket was an amateur. I do hope it's wired directly into the ring mains and not via a 13A plug and socket below.

The use of the adaptor may be ok depending on the total load of the equipment plugged into it which should not exceed 13A maximum.

I'm amused by the fitting of the cheap laminate flooring near the base of the sink unit. Another amateurish job. Someone needs to clean the floor as well, it's filthy.

I'm glad it's not my kitchen.

Reply to
Mr. Benn

Then whoever has a kitchen with that amount of stuff on worktop, and a bike in front of cooker could hardly complain about untidy wiring.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Reply to
Terry

It's the gloss dado rail in the hallway that scares me.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What does the 16th Edition have to do with it?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Rick Hughes writes

Scares the heck out of me when people store things on top of the cooker, if the bike slips and knocks a control knob on it could be interesting....... Seems to be the end of a multi block on the floor hiding behind the fridge as well.

Reply to
Bill

Bike or no bike, I couldn't even boil a kettle in all that mess and clutter!

Reply to
Ophelia

That seems to me rather harsh - especially as there's a bar of Lindt with sea salt on offer. And the floor doesn't look bad to me for a kitchen which has been used rather than prepared for a show home. But then perhaps my standards are as low as my expectations.

Reply to
Robin

People do not seem to realise that if you have been out on a push bike - there is more than a fair chance that there is dog shit on the wheels; not something to bring in to the kitchen as far as I am concerned.

I know of someone who keeps his bikes in one of the bedrooms !!

Reply to
Judith

Looks very much like a student's digs / let house to me. In which case there should be an inspection cert available. It's always a problem letting places and finding that tenants have made dodgy changes as inevitably they only come to light when they leave. One of mine 'just wired in a loft light' in such a way that the fuse would blow whenever the stairs two way lighting switches were in one position.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Who?

Reply to
Part Timer

The mains-powered radio sitting on the window ledge above the sink is a nice touch...

Reply to
S Viemeister

The mains-powered radio sitting on the window ledge above the sink is a nice touch... ==============================================

Amusingly, the person who owns the kitchen claims that he produces award-winning safety videos! Can you believe that?

Reply to
Mr. Benn

yers ...

Reply to
Ophelia

Well - if it dropped off the ledge in to the washing up bowl - you could very easily lift it out.

Reply to
Judith

lol the cobblers children and all that ...

Reply to
Ophelia