Diy jet engine.

Only normal tools needed.

Looks fairly deadly.

Reply to
harryagain

I might have preferred to test it outside ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you watch the one where he managed to burn himself fairly badly?

Reply to
Lee

No, but I watched the one where he hydroformed the tube for a pulsejet using a pressure-washer ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes after watching some of the Myth Busters attempts at rockets and jets, I think most wood be advised to steer clear of such gadgets,unless you have a convenient desert and a bunker available. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is that Scrapheap Challenge? ISTR one team built a jet engine to push a wagon along a railway track. Worked as well, but a bit scary particulary when starting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, he's a self-styled 'nutter' on YouTube, I don't quite see him along with the SlowMoGuys in the TV adverts for YouTube though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I built a pulse jet engine for fun a few years back ... and see he has also built one of them. Incredibly simple engines ... using some tubing and 2 stroke reed valves ... once started it then becomes self perpetuating - just use simple fuel flow to control .... however I used basic mild steel tube and eventually mine melted itself :-)

If I was to do it again would have a go at valveless version, where resonance controls the combustion - via tuning of the pipes - no need for valves.

Result one powerful motor with zero moving parts.

Reply to
rick

Nice to see him using the group's favourite tool for just about everything.

And who wears a tie for this sort of thing? I don't even wear a tie in the office.

Reply to
Caecilius

Model pulse jets are truly amazing things, they are so loud. A firm in Italy still offers them for sale:

I remember seeing one at the Plumpton model airshow some years ago. Despite being some 200m from it when it started up, the low frequency element of the sound reverberated inside me. It was awesome (not a word I use very often).

- Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yes, memorable. Couple of Dutch blokes, wasn't it?

Reply to
Bob Martin

That's right, Dutch pulse jets.

I found a (rather good) video of them at Plumpton in 1998:

Doesn't really give you any idea of the sound, but impressive. Mind you, we have electric models that are faster nowadays.

- MIke

Reply to
Mike