DIY Glass kiln - 'singing' contactors

HI All Finally got some power applied to the DIY glass fusing kiln that I was seeking advice on a few months ago.

Gave up waiting for the electrician to call - and laid in the wiring myself (following the installation advice he gave on the one occasion he did turn up!) Had a bit of a battle with the 6mm2 3-core cable - but eventually beat it into submission!

Anyway - 7kw of resistive heating elements are fitted in the top of a 'clamshell'-style kiln, with ceramic fibre insulation & a commercial controller feeding a pair of 40A 'Chint' contactors in series. (The 'safety' circuit that was discussed at length isn't in there yet - but the second contactor will eventually be controlled by it).

All seems good - on switch-on nothing caught fire (!), and only parts inside the kiln got hot.

However - the contactors sometimes 'sing' or 'whistle' to themselves - by the nature of the controller the contactors are turned on & off from time to time. Sometimes they come on silently (apart from the 'thud') - whereas sometimes they whistle.

Looked on the web, and saw some comments from some kiln manufacturers, along the lines of 'they do that - don't worry'

So - is a whistling contactor a cause for concern - or is it just 'one of those things' ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

When you say whistling, exactly what is vibrating in the unit to give a singing effect?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Could this be cheap contactor ironwork with no shading ring?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Could be? - I'm a long way from being an expert in such matters.

The part number is Chint IC40/2 - it's rated AC-1/AC-7a 40A, AC-7b 15A - and the load it's switching is about 32A, simple resistance wire wound on a spiral former.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Sorry - duff info - not Chint at all - manufacturer is Lewden, item is IC40/2

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Ask Lewden? Usually reliable stuff.

One possibility might be dirt between the faces; preventing the magnet circuit fully closing. Bit of compressed air?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wouldn't that make the thing "buzz" rather than "sing"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. On a resistive load, what else could it be.

I think technical support at Lewdens is the place to ask.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good idea! - I've just dropped them an email.... Thanks

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall