DIY Fume exttraction

Any ideas for a DIY fume extraction system? Mainly solder fumes, sometimes glue or paint.

Extraction can be to the outside so not too bothered about filtration in this case

Commercial systems start at around =A3500+VAT, other than the cheap fan and carbon filter gizmos which cost about =A350 and which I've found to be pretty useless.

My main problem is identifying the type of pump required, ideally not too noisy.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Cooker hood with an external vent kit?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Get a PC Type fan and wire it to a "wall wart" type of power supply.

Bolt a couple of finger guards to the fan, one either side. On the 'blow' side of the fan sandwich a piece of kitchen extractor filter* between the fan and the guard.

(*Charcoal type)

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round. A mask, with supplied air.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round.

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air. A mask, with supplied air.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If it's to make you breath easier, you may consider doing it the other way round. A mask, with supplied air.

This can be as simple as a hosepipe, with a "matress inflator" type blower at the far end.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'd suggest it's time to take your own mask off now, it's been on a little too long!

Reply to
Paul Andrews

It was some odd vi thing. I think it's typoing i, and not noticing the effect when hitting 'esc'.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

.....with an orange in the mouth, crocodile clips on the nipples etc?

Reply to
Matt

Strictly optional.

I superseded that moments after it got posted. Oh well.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I use an old bathroom extractor fan and hose, boot sale £3 :-)

-
Reply to
Mark

How close to the work do you have to get it to be effective? I have one of the fan & filter types but most of the fumes go straight up unless the unit is so close that you cannot then get to whatever you're working on.

I would also like something that can be adapted to use a tip extractor attached to the soldering iron (feature creep has started).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I use it when Brazing, I seem allergic to the flux fumes they makes me sneeze. Fan is mounted in a window with 150mm hose connected from the suck side to a metal funnel, which is welded on to an anglepoise lamp base. Works fine at about 18ins from the work piece, but I can't see there being enough suction for small bore pipe that would actually fit on a soldering iron, You'll need a Dyson for that.

-
Reply to
Mark

Brazing flux may contains fluorides, heating which is a damn good way to manufacture hydrofluoric acid! I am _very_ cautious with silver soldering fluxes and ventilation.

OTOH, I still love the smell of resin flux. Nearly as good as warm paraffin wax with a tang of ozone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

nice, no wonder my nose doesn't like it.

Mine's Hot tar

-
Reply to
Mark