DIY frosted glass

I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Worrying thought that you will get dump on your windows, maybe a lower fibre diet? ;-))))) Seriously though, you can buy a plastic film that will stick to the glass, or I seem to remember you can buy glass etching liquid, a Google search should do the trick. Hope that helps John

Reply to
johno

Worrying thought that you will get dump on your windows, maybe a lower fibre diet? ;-))))) Seriously though, you can buy a plastic film that will stick to the glass, or I seem to remember you can buy glass etching liquid, a Google search should do the trick. Hope that helps John

Reply to
johno

I think paint would be a bad idea, how about this instead

Mark

At one time you could buy "Fablon" in a semi-transparemt frosted glass effect.

First house we bought had clear bathroom windows, and being skint (naturally) I used it instead of replacing all the glass. Was still there and looking OK 4 years later.

Woolworths certainly used to stock it, and it sounds like just what you need. Take extractor out to fit it though!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Plastic window film

johno

I've seen "Fablon" in B&Q, but I have no idea what patterns or finishes they sell.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It would probably be a lot neater and easier to use stick-on film, eg:

Lobster

You can obtain this in an art shop.

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Humbrol do an aerosol "glass etch" which is actually a matt translucent varnish. It works well for this job.

It's even funnier as a gift for chemists. To see their face when they realise it's an _aerosol_ glass etchant (before they realise it's actually just varnish)....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks, Andy, useful to know about for temporary special effects.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

lol.

Another option, just for completeness, it to hang some shower curtain fabric.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Good God man! For the price they want for a 'wee' panel I'd put a brick through it and fit a new double glazed unit.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Is that because they think "I the f**k can anyone sell a spray can of HF ?!?!?".

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I used a transparent patterned Fablon for a similar job some years ago. Never liked it - looked cheap and nasty. I suspect damp/condensation might bring most varnishes off.

Have you thought of putting a bit of patterned rigid plastic over the window - either screwed straight on (it can be cut and drilled) or even framed and hinged? It could opened for cleaning - and might serve as effective double glazing. You can buy sheets of Glodex (sp?) or similar in various patterns from DIY centres, even some garden centres. You used to be able to buy diy aluminium framing for secondary glazing, but I haven't seen that in a while.

John

Reply to
John

If you do use the glass etching liquid, leave small clear letters to spell your postcode :-)

Reply to
PM

I rmember seeing that plastic stuff on bog windows in old houses, and it was always cut wrong at the edges, looking rather carp, and leaving gaps that could be seen through. I remember it as generally looking a mess. I assume it can be applied well, but it seems many didnt manage it. So I cant help but have some amount of reservation there.

Sounds much nicer. You could even use shower curtain material and double sided adhesive if you need a no-ish cost job.

Ever though of printing out a bizarre bathroom scene and hanging that in the window??

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you go along with the idea of sticking a film on the glass, be warned that some reflective films go clear at night, when backlit.

Reply to
Dave

Now THAT I like!! LOL.

You could enlarge a scene from 'Psycho' - that would give the neighbours something to talk about!

John

Reply to
John

Me too, it'd look like an empty shop.

Can't you pop the window out and get it sandblasted ;-)

P.

Reply to
zymurgy