DIY fluorescent lights - RFI interference

Well by moving the radio around, both ballasts are doing the same thing, and if I move the wire from ballast to far end of tube, towards the radio, this increases the interference, but the greatest interference is with the radio right against the ballast.

The ballast is Philips and says "Made in Poland" on the case.

Something I don't yet understand. How does a ferrite core stop the radiating of high frequency signals from a wire without attenuating the signal in the wire ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

if I move the wire from ballast to far end of tube, towards the radio, this increases the interference, but the greatest interference is with the radio right against the ballast.

of high frequency signals from a wire without attenuating the signal in the wire ?

common mode rejeaction

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

, and if I move the wire from ballast to far end of tube, towards the radio= , this increases the interference, but the greatest interference is with th= e radio right against the ballast.

ating of high frequency signals from a wire without attenuating the signal = in the wire ?

I will google that and learn something. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've sent an email to BLT Direct stating the problem and saying that osram units seem to have no such problem. I'll see what they say.

I wonder if the osram and philips work on different frequencies and yours are radiating but not to affect FM.

Any chance you could post a picture of your set-up to see if there is any obvious difference.

I tried earthing the case of the ballast and it made no difference.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

En el artículo , sm_jamieson escribió:

While you're at it, could you learn to snip your quotes? You just quoted over 100 lines to add two.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

of high frequency signals from a wire without attenuating the signal in the wire ?

While you're doing that, please find out how to stop your news reading program inserting many empty lines between each used line, and also try snipping superfluous lines. Others may then be able to read your one line contribution without having to scroll through many pages of rubbish.

Reply to
John Williamson

The mere existence of Homeplugs and their like simply proves the 'compliance' and 'enforcement' are nothing but figments of the imagination, as are the fines.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon
[190 lines snipped]

Perhaps you could find out about snipping replies at the same time.

Reply to
Huge

The ballasts are simply mounted on the underside of the wall cupboards, wired in 1mm TW&E. The leads to the clip mounted tubes are simply extruded twin flex with moulded on plugs. Nothing fancy at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No problem ;-) My newreader seems very good indenting the quotes so that I don't notice how much I am quoting. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson