DIY English

So, Wiki says that it's all codswallop !!!! Dave

Reply to
Dave

Draught and Draft...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Whose definition?

Just coz it's been written down somewhere on the net doesn't make it true (or correct).

Reply to
The Wanderer

It do, do it? How jolly nice. And what does a non-technical dictionary definition have to do with the naming conventions applied to services provided over the Internet?

You may want to think before answering this time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So much hot air and not a single mention of the glottal 'T'. But I guess that's the spoken word. And I hate people who start sentences with a preposition or conjuction! :-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Practice/practise ...

Reply to
Roger

You're Jo King and I claim my £5.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To replace *would've* actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

pedantry ;-)

And missed one, I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tehnically.

'I'll have forty razor blades'

'and i'll have forty, too (two?)'

Makes a difference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

US standard usage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

UK vs US.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As in 'when we were six?'

is when a preposition or a conjunction. I've forgotten..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. One of the suggestions made but with no proof and no explanation as to why a slang name for a soft drink should be contracted and used in this way.

Reply to
Alang

Yes. That one gets me too

Reply to
Alang

Journalists. Lowest form of life in the known universe

Reply to
Alang

Why should the fact the service is provided over the internet mean the word is not appropriate?

Why should a non technical pursuit need a technical name when there is already a name that fits the purpose?

Reply to
Alang

Why should a poster need a brain?

Why should you ignore the sound advice given?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Medway Handyman

Reply to