diy disaster

Yesterday one of our neighbours was just finishing decorting his house. His last job was painting the barge board under the guttering. He decided to burn off the old paint . Five fire engines later....

Reply to
fido

That's how Madge got to burn down Windsor Place for us isn't it?

Get a load of cheapo gawks to do it under a government training scheme. Then whoopsie. There goes 1/5th of 1000 years of history.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Go on, get the camera out and then go to

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

---------------8><

----------------------8><

Schadenfreude! What is it that you do in your garden that's so interesting?

Reply to
nog

Nothing in particular. Gardening, DIY and punch ups with the NDN is all that happens in my garden and I have my own CCTV to record that.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You didn't record the drill incident, by chance?

Not quite in the same league, but yesterday, I gave the kitchen a good clean. Afterwards, started preparing a late lunch. Oh dear, nearly out of mayonnaise. If I give the bottle a good downward swing, what's left will collect together and might just be enough. Bottle had just come out of fridge, and I hadn't bargined on the condensation and the effect that would have on my grip on it. Anyway, bottle smashed into the ceramic floor tiles at high velocity and exploded, covering everything in the kitchen up to about 6' high with mayonnaise and shattered plastic (fortunately a plastic bottle, although it broke just like a glass one). So much for having cleaned the kitchen...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Afraid not. My solicitor told me not to record next doors garden or house on my CCTV. I had to watch it all from the next door but one neighbours house where I was installing a room stat. I still have the punch ups that occured in my garden. If anyone can tell me how to get them from video tape to computer I will post them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Have you got either :

A DVD recorder

A PC with video digitisation capability (ATI all in wonder card or somthing similar)

A camcorder with analogue video in and firewire out (Canon models with the "i" suffix are good for this)

Reply to
John Rumm

(snip)

Another interesting point is that you can always send him 10 quid and a subject access request. Bet he'd have trouble responding properly.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which part? Domestic installations are excluded from the code of practice on CCTV and even systems that are subject to the guidance do not, necessarily, have to avoid overlooking properties that are not intended to be covered by the CCTV, although there are quite a few extra provisos if they do. About the only relevant item I can find on the Information Commissioner's web site is that, if your CCTV overlooks your neighbour's garden, you ought (as a recommendation only) to consult with the neighbour first.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its light but it should saturate the camera.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden, then contact the police on child protection grounds.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That would probably kill him. Would you want that on your conscience?

You can never tell when an enemy might turn out to be a friend. Imagine him becoming a good neighbour and having to report to the police as a know sex offender for the rest of his life.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:52:31 -0700, Weatherlawyer mused:

Eh? He's a PITA, who cares what he might be like one day, there's other normal people about who don't need training.

Reply to
Lurch

Seems like a very satisfactory outcome.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On my to wish list but lower down the list than the vans clutch

Probably not too expensive, something to look into. I looked earlier and there are buy it now items on ebay for £25

I have got a sony digicam coming next week I will see what it offers (£40 off my mate when he comes back off holiday)

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Already got the council on to it. They are one of the last remaining council tenants.

As for the child I was going to use the girlfiends and even bought a sandpit for him. I cannot fill it with sand yet as is is still raining. It is his birthday soon maybe a boucy castle and all his mates are needed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

an unfortunate piece of text :-) just how many girlfriends have you got?

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Even more unfortunate...he didn't say 'girlfriends'...!!!

Reply to
Bob Eager

This would be shortly after they'd finished laying a nice, new expensive floor of some hard-to-get material.

Ah ... a homing Dremel. How sweet. House-trained too?

Reply to
Aidan Karley