DIY Conservatory, Screed - something I can do???

Hi, I have been putting up a conservatory, and to keep the costs down, I have been doing the bits I feel comfortable with myself, and getting pro's in to do the bits that show/tricky stuff.

Anyone, everything is now up and sealed, the current floor, is the concrete base, so I believe I need screed to level it (i am going for laminate flooring, (unless the missus changes her mind AGAIN!!).

depthwise, I need 3-4in worth.

That is all I know... So what actually IS screed, can It be bought, is it delivered and poured like readymix concrete? Where is the best place to get it from, can I pour it myself, or is there a skill? (the self levelling bit sounds easy!!!)...

Many questions, I know...

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Mark Gillespie

First of all there is the concrete oversite. The main structure of the floor. This is usually 100mm thick and goes on top of your well compacted subbase and insulation etc. Likey to have a rough finish. Needs more strength than skill. The screed is the finishing layer made of a cement mortar. It takes a lot more skill to do this layer as it need to be flat and level. Also it is your last chance to get the new floor, level with the old. It is just sand and cement.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Try and get her to change her mind to tiles - laminate might not cope with the extreme temperature and humidity variatiosn found in most conservatories, along with the bright sunlight.

Owain

Reply to
Owain