DIY clothing rails

I am looking at creating some clothing rails, I have previously bought off the shelf stuff, but I found them very flimsy, I have found these:

but I don't know how easy they are to put together, has anyone had any experience with these and on a scale of 1-10 how simple are they to construct?

Reply to
david.ottman82

If it's Kee Klamp then very very simple - put the end of the tube into the joint and tighten up the bolt on the side with an allen key.

This assumes the tube is all cut square with no burrs.

Just remember lefty loosy righty tighty. :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, it seems that it is Kee Klamp and it looks like it will come supplied pre-cut, have you used Kee Klamp before? will it be stable, I am worried that the kids will try to use it as a climbing frame and I worry it might come apart :/

Reply to
david.ottman82

Kee Klamp won't come apart. Of course your thing might topple unless it's secured to the walls, floors and ceilings, but you can build a climbing frame with it (assuming you use tube to the correct spec.)

A Kee Klamp fitting (size 5 to 9) can support an axial load of 2000 lbs. per set screw with the set screw tightened to a torque of 29 lbs./ft. This is normally obtained when the set screw is fully tightened using a ratchet wrench.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

... without tools. Be assured that if you want to take it apart you can do so.

Reply to
charles

If you want a lighter version you could look at 20 or 25 mm electrical steel conduit and similar style fittings

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The entire unit goes together with a simple allen key. Each rail takes just a few minutes to assemble.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Reply to
david.ottman82

That would involve havng the means to put threads on the ends, which would cost as much as the ready made, take much more time and effort.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not with the conlock fittings, which fit onto standard unthreaded conduit and lock with allen key set screws, in the same way as the Kee Klamp stuff. No threading required.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog