DIY Chemicals - Non-allergic rhinitis

Happy New Year

Paints, sealants, some aerosols, polishes and fragrances in cosmetics to laundry detergent set off my rhinitis. Bit like bad hay fever but caused by chemicals rather than pollen.

My DIY activities amongst other things are somewhat restricted by it.

Anyone know of any good ngs or forums?

Better still anyone know of any medicines that might help. (I am on prescribed strong anti-histamines and a steroid spray)

I don't want trying to avoid anywhere with fresh paint, new carpet and most fragrances to take over my life and that of those close to me.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Sodium cromoglycate, not cheap though. I presume HRV would also help.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I would second the recommendation for the 3M dust and vapour masks. They completely eliminate "smells" as well as dust when in use. That includes strong solvent fumes etc. eBay will often have a source at below SF prices.

Its worth noting they are classed as "disposable" and 30 days etc. I suspect this is for use in a commercial environment with intensive use over that time. Used occasionally they will remain effective for years IME.

Reply to
John Rumm