DIY central hearing installation

In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house). Now I have just moved into another house which has no heating. I gather that DIY boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists / naughty-naughty' affair nowadays. However, what would be the actual negative consequences I would encounter if I do go ahead and do it myself (to a good standard)?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

There are no negative consequences. Buy a boiler, install it and away you go....if, further down the line you wish to sell the property, get the boiler serviced by a gas-safe bod and keep hold of the paperwork

Reply to
Phil L

"Phil L" wrote in news:ZOFDn.18$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe28.ams:

Fantasmic! Thanks...

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Apart from the possibility of any errors you might make causing harm you need to consider that it would probably invalidate any insurance claim. Much more certain is that when the house comes to be sold the owner will probably need to get the whole system certified as being to regulations. By all means do some of the time consuming work but get the final part installed and certified professionally.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

"Peter Crosland" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Thanks.., those are the kind of concerns that were lurking somewhere in my subcionscious! I could shop around for the plumber who will let me do the most work prior to him coming in and finishing it off and signing it off - after I make sure that the work I do complies with the latest building regs.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Peter Crosland wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 21:04

Assuming no errors indicating incompetance, DIY gas work *is* legal.

However, bizarrely, the Part L and Part P aspects of boiler installation will require talking to the LABC.

The other option is to either get a GasSafe fitter to "consult" for you (ie check your design and eyeball the workmanship). Although he cannot properly sign off your installation, he can issue a Gas Safety report which would look good to any naysayers in the future.

Reply to
Tim Watts

AL_z wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 21:27

Apart from the fact that Peter is not quite correct, what you could do is present all the wet pipework and electrics to near the point of installation which makes the actual installation simpler for the installer but still allows him to legitimately sign it off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news:hrncfr$b9q$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Okay.. thank you for the clarifications.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

AL_z wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 21:53

If you want to go that route.

You can do the gas installation yourself, if you're are "competent". In practise, that would mean being sure of your copper plumbing abilities and reading the various gas regs, knowing about taking flues out correctly and sizing your gas pipes to cope with the flow without exceeding the permitted pressure drop, taking pipes through walls (sleeved) and doing suitable tests at the end to name a few. I would advise having a read in the Wiki and FAQ (especially Ed Sirret's Gas DIY FAQ) and start assessing whether you feel it is worth making the effort to gain the further knowledge required vs subbing it out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The simple answer to that is don't make any errors then...

In my experience this was a non issue. I filled in the various sellers forms, indicating the boiler was about 4 years old. There was a standard query about if I had any paperwork from the installer. I told the buyers that I had installed it myself, and the standard logbook that I had filled in was available, but other than that there was no other paperwork. I also said it had been serviced about 18 months ago, and gave them the details of the corgi (I had no receipt for that either). Nothing further was mentioned.

Reply to
John Rumm

Part P, L, and gas safety regs aside, which can all be got around, if you don't have the boiler's installation log stamped by a Gas-Safe then the manufacturer's warranty may be invalid.

This does not, of course, limit or invalidate your statutory rights, but it is easier to get a manufacturer's engineer out under warranty to look at a boiler than it is to deinstall it and take it back to Boilers'R'Us.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I had no problems with Viessmann outside the nominal 1 year period with a warranty claim . They didn't seem interested it was self installed - just sent along an engineer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ISTR that some boiler makers run courses for DIY. One that I heard about (in Plumb Center) was a free, one-day course that enabled the 5-year warranty to be validated.

Reply to
PeterC