DIY brick BBQ with chimney

Hi All, I'm currently building several things in my small back garden with some nice regrade bricks I picked up at a reasonable price (surprisingly nice - thought I was going to have to paint them all white). Anyway, at some point I'll finish the raised flower bed, move onto the raised pond and then onto a BBQ at the end of the pond. I'd like to build a BBQ with a nice wide grill area - say 2½' wide, and probably 1½' deep. I'd also like to continue the brickwork up past the grill to form an enclosure of some kind, and then run a black pipe up a couple of foot for a chimney above the enclosure. The reason for the chimney is twofold. one - it will look nice, and two I want to take the smoke up reasonably high - I live in a terrace so my garden adjoins next door very closely (all very narrow gardens) and I'd like to make a reasonable attempt to get the smoke out of the way.

OK - that's the idea. Any ideas how to build the BBQ out of brick? I have no idea how to bring the brickwork in above the grill to form an enclosure - any advice here would be much appreciated.

Also, I thought about putting in a metal pan for the coals and leaving a small oven space below. Has anyone tried this? Would enough heat travel downwards to make this useful?

Advice much appreciated Matthew

Reply to
Matt Durkin

I have a book with some (american) plans for such a device - can scan and e-mail the few pages if you like.

I doubt it very much.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Reply to
Matthew Durkin

How would the ashes be collected?

Reply to
adder

Not sure. I wonder if there are good quality pans and grills etc designed for use with a brick built suround. I've seen a cheap and nasty one at some DIQ shop somwhere. Didn't look like it would last long, and that's not what I want if I go to the trouble of building a brick BBQ!

Reply to
Matthew Durkin

I'd very much appreciate a copy of the info as well please if it's not too much trouble or could you point me in the direction of a suitable web site.

Cheers.

Bob

Reply to
Robert James