DIY Beer

I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

easy to find. Tuesday April 12th from 7:30pm onwards.

We've done these informal gatherings before. The format is buy your own beer, order/buy whatever food you want, pull up a chair and chat about anything you want. It doesn't have to be DIY related but can be if you want.

The George does excellent food (we've been there before), and there's a decent selection of beers.

If the weather was decent we could sit next to the river in the rear garden, however that's probably hoping for too much at this time of year.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

If you know where it is ...

I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill for a fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't. We were VERY disappointed because he and his wife were lovely people ... perhaps they hit hard time but they could have contacted us. He doesn't post here any more.

I don't like hard feelings :-( And it was my birthday ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4238a030$0$2655$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

This Sunday, n'est pas?

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

LOUDER! :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well I hope you named and shamed the miserable sod here!

Reply to
Lobster

No ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You would get on the M1, (although horse and cart is not allowed these days) and head for civilisation. Broadly speaking, this starts south of Watford......

Once there, you turn right and make for God's own country. If you're very good, leave your clogs at home and don't say "champion" too often, somebody by the name of Andrew (there are a minimum of three) will buy you a beer or Babycham if you prefer. Note that this is proper beer - not the firefighting foam made by Tetley (who really should stick to their excuse for tea) and which requires barmaids on steroids to pull a pint.

Take care to about the derivatives and futures traders in their red braces and Porsches. They are direct descendents of Dick Turpin and should be avoided. Despite what they might tell you, the streets are not paved with gold, although we have now been polluted by Morrisons, who seem to believe that we just want to buy pies.

Reply to
Andy Hall

HORSE and cart? There's a novelty. We use oxen. Horses are for riding.

Ok, so you go north.

Confirmed, north it is.

What about us shawls?

We only say that when there's something to compliment.

Is that stuff still made? Spouse's cousin (from somewhere in the s**th of course) once worked for them. Blech.

Tetley's don't make beer any more, they were taken over. It was never very good anyway except in the brewery or in one or two selected pubs round the corner who got special deliveries.

'Tetleys' beer isn't highly thought of hereabouts - except when compared with John Smiths ...

Wossat then?

Whereas your lot simply press a button :-)

He was hanged in York. Not liked round here. He was from the s**th.

They must have thought there would be suckers down there :-)

We don't buy pies here, we make our own. Still, if you don't know any better ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I buy mine. I can't do them as well as my local pieshop

you're in Bristol, and you're not afraid of Stokes Croft, give them a try)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

...ooh, fighting talk ;-)

I like a strong woman!

Wots wrong with pies?

Reply to
Dave

That's a shame. I might have fr more experience than you though :-)

But more importantly, I want to know exactly what's in what I eat.

round the country? It's obviously a (relatively) high volume manufacturer so can't be compared with freshly baked one-off pies well made at home.

I'm never in Bristol ... drove through it once, years ago, it was terrifying! No idea if it was Stokes Croft though :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, they're tiny and very keen on their pie quality. Obviously distribution is never a good thing for food quality, but if you see them with a travelling stall at a local Bristol event (where I found them), give them a try.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to Yanks.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's not as though Scots are terribly welcome in York either ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Um, "Our pies are available through a growing number of pubs, bars, delis and restaurants *nationwide*" (my emphasis but otherwise direct from the website home page).

That seems to be true.

As I say, we don't go to those parts.

But when we do travel - which of course is frequently - we take all our food with us. I cook and bake on-site. We've been disappointed too often to risk anything else, even when friends have recommended places to us. I suppose we all have different expectations.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What makes you think he was a Yank???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

..."who said he'd send a check"

Reply to
RichardS

er - wouldn't that make me the Yank?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What is there to be afraid of in Stokes Croft?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway used to sell and make the assumption that people only want to buy pies that they have misunderstood their marketplace and therefore deserve to lose customers.

Reply to
Andy Hall