diy banter

i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news groups are appearing an a comercial website.

Its seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong on this?

Reply to
nthng2snet

Don't know.... do you mind google doing it?

It probably is a little cheeky, but then again it adds an alternate access method that may be useful for some.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you do you can set to no archive. But these smaller web sites seem to ignore this.

Reply to
Mike

Yeah, but the broken threads are a PITA, hence I kill everything with diybanter in the message id or ref. At least some google posters know how to post without breaking threads.

Reply to
fred

They quite often don't archive for long either though - once the message has scrolled off its cache its gone. That is not really any different from standard ISP newsfeeds (which also ignore "no archive").

With google it is there for good unless you tell it otherwise.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hear Hear

Reply to
Dave Stanton

A poster has copyright control of their posts. If you wanted you could put a copyright notice on your posts stating who can and cannot copy or reproduce your posting.

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson @ SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

I don't see any broken threads due to diybanter.com at the moment.

I just went and had a look at diybanter.com, and it seems to be explaining quite clearly what it's doing and how it links to the usenet newsgroups:

pointer to the FAQ would be good to add though. I can't see any harm at the moment. If it started to become a source of noise or other abuse and the admin didn't respond to reports, then it would clearly be appropriate to take action.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel