DIY automatic watering system ideas?

I need to automate my outside plant watering this year, as I forget/can't be bothered. I am thinking of using a timer with a 12V transformer connected to a car windscreen washer pump. Then a network of windscreen washer pipes to distribute the water.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Andrew Barnes" strung together this:

Why not just use one of those Hozelock timer\valve affairs that fit on the outside tap?

Reply to
Lurch

Where is the water coming from? I assume that you have a water tank for the purpose rather than taking it from the mains?

Your solution is ok in principle - depending upon how much water you need to deliver. Car windscreen washer pumps are not exactly high throughput devices. Nor are they designed for continuous operation - a few seconds at a time being the norm.

If you only have one pump feeding many branches, how are you proposing to balance the flow to ensure that each branch gets its fair share?

If you were to use a mains water system, you could use (electrical) mains operated solenoid valves - controlled by a timer - to turn the water on and off at the required times. Wouldn't this be preferable?

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, get the proper system for the job... it will work whereas your idea probably won't.... cheaper too unless you have free source for the car washer bits.

Reply to
BillV

and suitable solenoid valves abound in defunct dishwashers and washing machines ! ....and as chance would have it I kept mine after a recent upgrade and was thinking about exactly the same problem ! Thanks guys !!!!

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

"Set Square" wrote in news:c5h65d$1k2k7$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217758.news.uni-berlin.de:

Available from any washing machine repair place for about 15UKP, requires 240VAC to switch, incommer is threaded hose connector, outgoer is 12mm pipe (ish)

Reply to
William Munns

This place does good stuff, kits or parts.

Toby

Or

have nice new solenoid valves for washing machines (or other uses) from a couple of quid up.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

U.S.

For example, you can buy 24v solenoid valves with air breaks the lot for under $20.

I bought a load of this stuff during a trip, but it would be economic to have it shipped if a lot is wanted

You can also buy a sophisticated 12 channel 24v AC controller with more options than you can shake a stick at for about $60.

Certainly doing anything with mains washing machine valves seems like a dangerous occupation to me.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surely an illegal immigrant would be cheaper?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We'll be having a punkawalla thread next .....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | The Natural Philosopher wrote: | >Surely an illegal immigrant would be cheaper? | We'll be having a punkawalla thread next .....

Is that an Approved Method under the Regs?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As long as you've submitted a Building Notice in triplicate and the PW is Part L1 BBA certified.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've given up on the Gardena / Hozelock stuff that you can buy in the UK. You either need to take up the whole system in the autumn or replace much of it in the spring, after the distributor heads have been destroyed by frost. The French garden centres (at least those in the South) sell some really serious watering systems and I'm planning to bring some of that stuff back for my garden.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That's what I used - yes a couple of quid

Reply to
geoff

In message , Andy Hall writes

Why? I've never come across one failing in a dangerous way

Reply to
geoff

Yes, but who want's their garden filled with cockles ?

Reply to
geoff

I wasn't thinking of failure. Mains voltage, tags with push on connectors, water squirting about, damp ground....

OK, one can use an RCD and mount the valves in a box, but a 24v arrangement seems a bit safer to me.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Boooring

How else am I going to kill that bloody heron?

Reply to
geoff

You obviously need to listen for its arrival.

A heron aid perhaps...... ??