DIT Storage heaters

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiat ors and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the l ot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

Reply to
Simon Mason

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Storage heaters are used when you have an economy 7 electric tariff and wish to take advantage of the cheaper night time electricity that it offers.

It's also a shit way of heating a house.

Reply to
ARW

It's 'Simon Mason': He should buy whichever is the most expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled ra diators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out t he lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

Well, unlike the gas that I pay for, if I have free electric heating, I can heat the house for nothing and ditch boiler breakdown insurance as well.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Quite. As in "FFS, why are you responding to a troll?"

(Although he is quite a good one.)

Reply to
Huge

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

I am curious as to what you mean by "free electricity". Can you elaborate?

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

Unless you are absolutely loaded - have a good job and half a million pension pot I would do it yourself.

You are competent to do so - I assume?

Reply to
Judith

How much free electric do you have per hour? From where do you get it?

Reply to
Judith

I applied for a free electricity offer with BG between 0900-1700 Sat/Sun an d they said they could not put me on that offer until I get a smart meter f itted and there is a long waiting list.

I am now with BG, but they have no record of my electric account at all as they cocked up the handover from npower.

Reply to
Simon Mason

You will, therefore, get an estimate. I had something similar. And if you think that estimate will be at or close to zero, you will be in for a shock (as it were).

Reply to
RJH

That depends very much on occupancy and how the occupants behave. I have had three here for many years and they work very well. However the technology is a bit basic, and I feel sure that we could design them to be better insulated so they can keep their heat for longer to cope with the up and down temperatures of this land.

Did you know that nobody has made a smart meter that can cope with economy 7 yet. I have been told this by several energy suppliers or as they really are, administration of bills companies. One might have thought that when designing such devices time related power usage would have been part of the spec.

As for the original question. How has this person got free electricity. Suffice to say that if this is true, you can jolly well be sure it will not remain free for very long as the government will want to tax it. Thus, to me I'd say, don't burn your bridges or count your chickens before they are hatched. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Andy Burns

With your 24 hour availability of free electricity you don't need storage heaters. Storage heaters are installed to make use of 'cheaper electricity' but where are you going to find that cheaper than free? You need instant electric heating when and where you need it. A £20, 3KW fan heater on a plug in thermostat per room would suit your immediate needs. No need to go to the expense of anything else. There is no point is saving on electricity if you then spend hundreds/thousands on unnecessary hardware As for hot water, just leave the immersion heater on 24/7.

Reply to
alan_m

Well these would cost him a few quid but they are not storage heaters.

ARW

I suppose he could post some photos for Mike to add to his compilation.

Reply to
ARW

The only way they will ever find out is if a man comes to read it which last happened in 2012.

Reply to
Simon Mason

"our highly efficient German electric heating systems run at a fraction of the cost of storage heaters"

That's nice to know.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thats 120/7 as a round fraction.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You provide your name and I guess your address is also public knowledge. Each area has record of which company is supplying which property. After advertising your situation regarding "free" electricity it is trivial for a vindictive person, probably a non-cyclist, to make that call for the appropriate supplier to then bill you for the year at the current standard rate.

You may not be that bright, but don't be so stupid to change your current heating system. All 'good' things come to an end.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The 12 month limit is only for cases where the customer has acted in good faith, if acting in bad faith they can probably go back 6 or 7 years.

Reply to
Andy Burns