Distoretd Plastic 50Gallon cold water tank (lof)

My 50 gallon black plastic loft 50 gallon cold water tank has become serious distorted, over a period of, possibly, 20 years. The 'stress bars' holding the two long side together were displaced, so that the tank bulges at the top, making it difficult to seal the top (there was no 'top' that I ever knew about. I has been opined that it would be impossible to draw the distortion back. Now, I wonder about this since 50 gallons of water flowing out of a tank in the loft, could cause serious damage. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to bring it back into shape, or otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

GOG

Reply to
GOG

empty it, then add a frame round it. Theyre not meant to be sealed.

Reply to
NT

It's knackered. Replace it, =A3125 for a tank from Screwfix, =A390ish plus delivery from BES. You will not be able to restore the tank to its original shape. They should have a snap-tight lid, a screened overflow and a filtered air inlet.

If it fails, the 50 gallons will take down all the ceilings. The float valve will be running and the damage will be enormous if there is no-one in at the time. A no-brainer, IMHO.

Reply to
Onetap

/If/ its knackered, I agree. I got rather the impression it was still sound though, just a support come adrift.

NT

Reply to
NT

OK, Perhaps I didn't really mean 'sealed', I guess. Covered so that dirt doesn't fall into it. A lid, I guess. Possibly something to conform to regulation ???30? Oh, and it is not coffin type, more a bathtub. Originally it was surrounded by 'black plastic bin bag with insulation inside - but that has long since disintegrated.

GOG

empty it, then add a frame round it. They're not meant to be sealed.

Reply to
GOG

Although you can still buy the bits as a Byelaw 30 kit, Byelaw 30 was replaced by Paragraph 16 of Schedule 2 to the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999:

16.?(1) Every pipe supplying water connected to a storage cistern shall be fitted with an effective adjustable valve capable of shutting off the inflow of water at a suitable level below the overflowing level of the cistern.

(2) Every inlet to a storage cistern, combined feed and expansion cistern, WC flushing cistern or urinal flushing cistern shall be fitted with a servicing value on the inlet pipe adjacent to the cistern.

(3) Every storage cistern, except one supplying water to the primary circuit of a heating system, shall be fitted with a servicing valve on the outlet pipe.

(4) Every storage cistern shall be fitted with? (a)an overflow pipe, with a suitable means of warning of an impending overflow, which excludes insects;. (b)a cover positioned so as to exclude light and insects; and. (c)thermal insulation to minimize freezing or undue warming..

(5) Every storage cistern shall be so installed as to minimize the risk of contamination of stored water. The cistern shall be of an appropriate size, and the pipe connections to the cistern shall be so positioned, as to allow free circulation and to prevent areas of stagnant water from developing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar