Distance between Stairs and room above

The distance between my stairs and the room above is very low - only

69" (1.75m). I am constantly hitting my head on it. I am trying to increase this height by taking more space out of the room above the stairs. What is the recommended distance between the stairs and the room above it?

Thanks

Robert

Reply to
robertpayne

Building Regulations Part K

defines this as 2m. Section 1.10 gives more information. I have the same problem and am tackling it by replacing the stairs (as part of a complete refurbishment) such that the stairs start a bit later so giving more headroom. I was told by my BCO that I could put in stairs that do not meet the regulations _provided_ that for each requirement they are no worse than what was there before.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks for the reply - that means I will need to increase the head height by 10". I think I will cut out some more of the room above the stairs. I think I will need to cut some of the framework of the floor to get enought room.

Thanks again.

Robert

Reply to
robertpayne

IIRC current building regs specify 2m minimum headroom from the stairs, measured from the diagonal line connecting the top of the front edge of each step.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The ceiling over my stairs slopes from 7" joist to zero thickness. I assume the joist supporting the wall of the room above is higher than normal such that it is entirely inside the wall, if you see what I mean. I don't know if this idea would help you. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Er...that depends..on the BCO. Some I have met will say that if it is a reinstallation, not a repair, you must meet regulations.

In any case its a very sensible regulation..hitting heads and falling down stairs kills more people than electrical shock.

The way I managed mine was by very careful planning and almost a spiral stairwell in the building center. You can get away - all within regs - with unbelievably steep stairs if they are not in straight runs. That allowed me to use the full headroom into a 'half storey' and get my stairs legit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Go for it! You can make a nice shelf or raise cupboard out of the stairwell where it projects into the room. Adds character!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher