Dissolving? adhesive.

I have several used pairs of tail lights for the old Rover. All damaged slightly. Having a clear out, it occurred I could make one good set out of the lot, as the damage - chips and cracks - isn't all in the same place. The outer consists of four parts - red foglight, white reversing, red tail light, and amber reflector/indicator. All glued to themselves and a one piece plastic lamp holder/mounting plate. All the plastic is pretty brittle, so force isn't really an option. Any ideas about how to 'unglue' them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Score with a sharp knife to make the crack run about where you want it?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Depends on what sort of glue it is. You could try some gentle heat by wafting past a hot air gun to see if it softens.

Failing that, cut through with a small burr on the end of a mini drill / dremel etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

No need for such drastic action. Clean the rear view mirrors.

What's your postcode?

I will keep clear of any Rover rear ends when visiting.

Regards

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

I'm pretty sure they are normally solvent weld, so it's down to cutting: junior hacksaw, dremel, multitool?

Reply to
newshound

Personally, I suspect the sections will be solvent welded and that you don't stand a hope in hell of getting the sections apart cleanly. Anything that will dissolve the "adhesive" will also dissolve the plastic. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim