Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

|We have a "free" collection of green waste in a separate |brown-coloured wheelie-bin, collected every fortnight apart from a |month or so in the winter.

Our council sold us two 300 litre compost bins at a huge discount, so we

*use* green waste and food waste on our garden. The only cost is some delay between putting waste in the top and shoveling compost out of the bottom.
Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

We'll be able to tell the grandchildren, "I used to be in IT. Then I became a plumber. Then at 68 I retrained as a miner."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Same here but we also use the council green bins. They have a special high-temperature composting process that takes stuff that an ordinary domestic composter doesn't, or not readily e.g. woody stuff and nasty weeds. (Or so I gather: SWMBO is the expert.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Already beginning to happen here in Cambs. Big plans for the future include using MBT to produce a fuel for the local cement works; of course if we recycle all we could then the fuel wouldn't actually burn:-/ See for a view on this.

Going to the tip is fine for councils: that's included in their brownie points. Saving even more energy by the 3 Rs, or home composting, is becoming anathema. There are some very interesting local(-ish) schemes (in Suffolk) offering a green waste collection for a price whichis then turned into compost for sale and employ various categories of otherwise-unemployable people. Sadly, council politics are likely to put these out of business in the medium term.

You don't need to be nearly that cynical to be led to despair over waste management here...:-(

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

I thought it was a leopard? Anyway, once you have battled past that yes, you can fill in a form which asks "Are you in favour of your Council emplying a sexy new way of improving your life-quality? (YES/NO)", when the issue is actually whether they should increas recycling (=NO) or generate carcinogens by burning waste in a huge new incinerator (=YES). That's democracy.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Correct:

like tigers though. They, and polar bears, are about the only animal that sees homosapiens as prey. Yes, others will attack and possibly kill you but generally don't set out to hunt you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice