Disposal of waste cooking oil in Diesel engine

Hi, all.

We had a big family gathering at the weekend, which involved several fondues.

Consequently, I now have several litres of used groundnut oil for disposal.

I was considering pouring it into the LR Discovery's diesel tank, at a ratio of say 2 litres waste oil to 80 litres of real diesel.

Or if I was shy of that, then into the 500 Litre tank of our big generator at work.

Comments?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

OK on TDi200 & TDi300, not too happy with TD5 as it's semi common rail. However at that dilution it'd probably be ok anyway.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

OK, I don't know about the designations. It's a 2006 Disco3 V6 2.7ish Turbo-Diesel.

I don't know the details of how the injection system works.

I may play safe and dump it in the Agrekko genny 500l tank anyways, it sucks fuel at a furious rate.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Do it at the start of a long run. And give the machine a chance to clean itself with a drop of the good stuff afterwards. How did you filter it?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Gravity.

I let it sit overnight, and decanted it like a fine wine.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ron Lowe saying something like:

Filter, filter, filter. Down to 5 microns, if possible. No problem with running clean, dewatered waste veg oil in an older IDI or even DI system, but I don't and wouldn't do it on a modern CR system.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

I have a 2 cylinder Lister on a generator, what are your thoughts on cooking oil in that? Not that I have a lot of it, but it would be good to find a use for the old stuff. How easy is it to filter down to 5 microns? Start and warm up on diesel first or is their a %mix of derv and cooking oil that is OK?

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

Jeez, they'll run on anything.

Easy in the first stages, coarse filtering can be done with cloth doubled or tripled over; requires actually buying a filter for the final ones. 5 micron filters aren't hard to find. At the end stages you really need to start pumping it if you want it within a reasonable time.

For a stationary engine I'd start and stop on diesel, and for normal running, 100% vegoil will be ok once the engine and fuel system are up to temp. If this is in an unheated outbuilding or outside in the winter, a heated fuel system is a must for the vegoil pipery. Of course, it will run perfectly fine on a 50/50 mix in the summer,

60/40 (dino/vegoil) in the winter, but be ready for unreliable starting in the winter.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Thought that maybe the case. :-)

I'm not that desperate, not yet anyway, so it won't be heated. Be good to feel a bit "green" though. The smell of the exhaust should "interest" the neighbours too.

OK thanks for that, I'll start thinking about change over taps.

Reply to
Bill

At the Golf Club I was a mechanic at a few lives ago we used to run 4 cyl Massey 235s on a mix of 60% chip oil (From the restaurants) mixed with 30% Dino and the last 10% was a drop of 4 star. Mixed up thoroughly in a 45 gal drum, left for a week to settle and siphoned off to a clean 5 gal plastic drum.

Filter?....... That's what the inline ones used to do innit?

As a low revving DI engine they ran well, and I only changed the filters annually to nothing lost on performance or cost.

Got some increased patronage at the restaurants though as the chippy smell used to make the golfers hungry ;-)

Reply to
Me Here

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Me Here" saying something like:

Oh yes, that's a good point. I mix in a cupful of petrol (boosts the cetane rating, supposedly) and a cupful of ATF (keeps injectors clean) every 60L batch.

I find settling is a good and cheap way, if you've got the time, but the inline filters on many cars and vans aren't cheap, so pre-filtering is best.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's the Ford/Jaguar/LandRover/Peugeot/Citroen common rail V6 diesel engine.

- I wouldn't be putting Vegetable oil anywhere near it unless I wasn't too bothered if it kept working!

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Fine. It's not going in the Disco.

It's done, 3 litres in the big generator, diluted into 500l of red diesel. This big engine has a mechanically-driven injector pump with a series of pipes coming out of it distributor-style to the individual injectors. Looks like all old diesels to me.

Filtering will be handled by the in-line fuel filters.

Reply to
Ron Lowe