Dismantling a shower mixer

My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers

has started to leak constantly into the shower head and I have the job of fixing it.

I suspect it is only one of the O rings leaking, so a few pence to fix it.

The HR website helpfully supplies fitting instructions but no breakdown views of the mixer.

Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

Thanks

Reply to
chudford

I tried to repair one and ruined it in the process. Limescale had got into every nook and cranny, seizing up the screws/bolts. One of these was brass, and sheared off when I tried to get it off. Work of the Devil I reckon.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

How old is it? HR were very helpful when I had to contact them about some taps, and they have something like a 10 year warranty, so a call to them might be a first step.

auctions

I wonder (with the benefit of hindsight) if leaving it to soak for a few days in a weak acid (e.g. vinegar) would have helped. Of course, when you are fixing a shower you generally want to get it done smartly.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I don't know about that brand, but I finally managed to fix a mixer that had been dripping for years. There were two tiny O rings hidden inside the hole that the main shaft goes through.

Reply to
Matty F

Thats exactly what I did to dismantle a Mira mixer.Soaked in in descaler. Fortunately it was gold plated. Chrome doesn't lik bog dscaler..

Drifting off topic, Those people who think softeners aren't worth it because soap isn't that expensive, should consider the damage done to taps and shower mixers by scale buildup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The helpful man from Hudson Reed has just sent me a breakdown view of the mixer together with which O rings to change for which faults. Looks straight forward, just have to keep my fingers crossed that I don't knacker it when I dismantle it.

Reply to
chudford