Dismantle Mixer tap.

Actually not as drastic as it sounds. Basically the tap is the wrong way round, so the hot is could and cold is hot.

I'd like to swap the crowns (Don't know the correct term - the parts you turn) around.

This is the tap;

is no visable screw to slacken. The barrels do unscrew, but its still not clear to me as to how to go about it.

Does anyone here know?

TIA Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

Most taps have a plastic flip seal that can be prised off to reveal the screws.

Yours? cant see the top of.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Can't see from the picture, but isn't there a knurled ring holding the indicators in? If so, unscrew 'em and swap.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Are you sure you need to swap the whole thing? Normally there is an insert with a knurled ring, or something you can prize out.

Another thought, you are just trying to swap the indicators, not make the taps work the other way?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

mixing at the base) then you might be better turning the tap around so that hot and cold go through the correct channels. Often they're arranged so that hot comes out of the inner passage and cold out of the outer one so that you get the cold first as you put your hand into the mixed stream.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Is it just the *labels" you want to swap - so that hot water - rather than cold - comes out when you turn the tap labelled 'hot' - or do you want to swap the *function* - so that hot is on the right instead of left (or whichever way round it is at present)?

If it's just the labels, there's probably a little red plastic plug covering the screw on one handle, and a blue one on the other handle. In this case, ease them off with a small screwdriver and re-fit them the other way round.

If you want to swap function, you'll need to do a bit a plumbing. Uner the sink there will be two tap tails - with the hot pipe connected to one and the cold to the other. You'll neeed to swap hot and cold pipes between tails.

Reply to
Set Square

Yep just the labels.

Unfortunately the 'H' & 'C' appear to be engraved into the taps.

We were getting the worktops replaced under our insurance. We thought we'd take the oppotunity to get a new sink and tap.

This tap had a small screw on the main body of the mixer. I noticed that if you mounted the tap with this screw facing to the rear, the the hot would be cold and vice versa. So I mounted the tap with the screw facing forward onto the sink. When the plumber was fitting the sink - he said to my wife that he hates to see visible screws and so took the tap off and reversed it (he meant well). To be fair the decals are not that noticable - they're not coloured.

Reply to
Patrick

You must be able to dismantle it. Have you tried the manufacturer?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The taps *must* come apart - otherwise they couldn't be assembled in the first place.

Chances are that the engraved bits either screw or push in to the top of the handles. Failing that, the handles may each have a small grub screw securing it onto the spindle.

With a tap fully open, and the barrel unscrewed, can you get at a hexagonal bit in order to unscrew the working bit of the tap from the mixer body? If so, you could unscrew them both and swap them - having turned the water off, of course!

If you *really* can't find out how to swap handles, decals or innards, the only other option is to swap the pipes underneath - or put up with them as they are!.

Reply to
Set Square

Hah! there lies the problem, the plumber has F*cked up and realised what he done and came up with a solution to combat his error. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No its not his fault. Every sink and bath tap in the house is plumbed in the same way - hot on the right cold on the left. If he had plumbed it to suit the tap then it would be out of sync (no pun intended) with the rest of the house.

Reply to
Patrick

Not all that gets put together comes apart without destruction.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yep been there.

In this case though it does. After all the replies saying pop the label off, I went back for another look and I'll be b&*gered they did have caps on. With all the reflections and the fact that they are such a good fit, it made the join virtually invisable. Popped them off and swapped them round. Sure glad I didn't go at them earlier with the resulting scores and scratches that go along with not knowing how they come apart.

Reply to
Patrick

Agreed - things which have been welded or bonded won't come apart non-destructively - but that's hardly likely to apply to a tap!

In fact, as can be seen from Patrick's most recent post, this story has a happy ending!

Reply to
Set Square

I came across one tap that (on destructive dissasembly) had in fact been glued together. Bastards.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Except the hot tap at my B-I-L's which last Saturday resisted all attempts at removing the acrylic headwork. Of course when I tried the cold side (working fine) just to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong it came apart just as it should.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Especially when one is eleven years old and enthusiasm for dismantling exceeds aptitude for remantling.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Remantling??? Now that's a word I like!