disk imaging software

In which case gnu ddrescue is much better than dd as it does a sensible job of copying partly corrupt drives.

(Don't try to use ddrescue from Windows. It can work, but Windows will try to help if the PC needs to be rebooted at any time during the copy. This really messes things up. I discovered this the hard way...)

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I have seen this happen in so many ways - including systems which allow you to store a file with a long name but not to retrieve it (thanks Sky Drive). In my book, it should not be possible if both have the same type and version of file system. But it probably is.

Reply to
polygonum

Try copying /var and /home back and find you installed your apps somewhere else.

Reply to
dennis

I have external hard drives in a USB caddy to which I backup my laptop by a disk clone.

I can physically replace the disk in the laptop with a cloned backup disk and it will boot and work as normal.

I can change the boot order in the BIOS and boot my machine from the backup connect via USB cable. The disk on the USB would be the master which can be cloned back to the disk in the laptop.

I can boot normally, connect the cloned backup via usb and copy back any file by normal means (copy/paste or drag/drop)

Reply to
alan

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Cheers!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Roger Mills escribió:

Yes, but don't boot with both drives in the system after the copy. Disconnect the source drive before rebooting. Windows will see two identical drives and get very confused.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Trivial to fix with gparted.

Gparted.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Since when? Windows will boot of one and it may be the one the bois selected or not. The user may get confused, windows won't.

Reply to
dennis

I doubt it. It will go for the master boot record on whichever disk is first in the boot sequnce and boot whatever OS that one points to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That does depend a bit on how many partitions are on the disks and what types they are.... for example if you clone a disk with a primary partition that was drive C:\, and then a number of additional partitions all contained in an extended partition (D:, E:, F:), you may find that windows will allocate drive letters to the two primaries in sequence before mounting the ones in the extended partition. Hence your drive letters can jiggle about, and things may not be where they are expected.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oddly, the boot disk does not have to be the one with OS on it - so long as its marked as active and bootable, and has the NT loader on it, the actual main OS can be on another partition. You can also have an early boot menu that gives a choice of OSes to load, and each can be on a different logical partition of physical disk if you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

It sees two identical disks, with identical volume IDs, identical SIDs and both marked bootable. It can end up writing stuff to the registry of the 'wrong' disk, so that when the clone is removed, Windows ends up badly broken. I've seen it happen several times.

The trick is to disconnect the source drive *for the first boot of the cloned drive* - after that, it's safe to add the source disk back in.

There is a reason the cloning utilities warn you not to allow the machine to reboot with both disks in immediately after cloning.

Linux, of course, doesn't have this problem.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson